Serwer at Fortune conference, 2011
|Born||September 16, 1959|
Chevy Chase, Maryland, U.S.
Andrew "Andy" Serwer (born September 16, 1959) is an American journalist and editor in chief of Yahoo Finance. He is best known for serving as managing editor of Fortune from 2006 to 2014. He is based in New York City.
Between 1995 and 1998, Serwer was a senior writer at Fortune. In 1997, he gained attention for writing an online column, then a novelty, called "Street Life" about the personalities and stories on Wall Street. "Achaea had Homer, the Spanish Civil War had Hemingway, California had the Beach Boys, and now our hyperactive stock market has its own poet-singer—Andy Serwer," James Collins wrote in the May 22, 2000, issue of The New Yorker. The column later evolved into "Captain's Blog."
He has written a number of Fortune cover stories, including profiles of Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates, Oracle co-founder Larry Ellison, and Cisco CEO John Chambers. In 2000, NewsBios named Serwer Business Journalist of the Year, calling him "perhaps the nation's top multimedia talent, successfully juggling the roles of serious journalist, astute commentator and occasional court jester."
Serwer was a regular contributor on CNN's "American Morning" and served as a co-host of CNN's "In The Money." He has also appeared on ABC's Good Morning America, NBC's The Today Show and CBS This Morning and has written for Time, Sports Illustrated, Politico, and SLAM Magazine.
Serwer was named managing editor of Fortune in November 2006, replacing Eric Pooley. In August 2014, Serwer left the company when executives appointed Alan Murray as the new top editor.
- Somaiya, Ravi (2015-02-18). "Ex-Fortune Editor Joins Yahoo Finance". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2015-02-20.
- Boxer-Cook, Doug (August 18, 2010). "Fortune's Good Fortune: Andy Serwer '81". Bowdoin. Retrieved 2014-08-02.
- Collins, James (May 22, 2000). "A Financial Voice as Wild as the Market". The New Yorker. Retrieved 2014-08-02.
- Serwer, Andrew. "Captain's Blog". Fortune.com. Retrieved 2014-08-02.
- Somaiya, Ravi (22 July 2014). "Fortune Names Alan Murray Top Editor". The New York Times. p. B3.