|Born||14 November 1973|
|Associated acts||The Commitments|
Andrew Strong (born 14 November 1973) is an Irish singer and the son of Irish musician and singing coach Robert (Rob) Strong. He grew up in Omagh, County Tyrone (where his father lived while performing with showbands), and Naas, County Kildare. He starred as Deco Cuffe in the 1991 cult film The Commitments based on the book by Roddy Doyle. In 1991 he was nominated for a Grammy Award as a member of The Commitments.
Tours and other projects
In 2003, Strong formed The Bone Yard Boys with Bent Larsen Petersen, a partnership that endures to the present day. The Bone Yard Boys' music is more contemporary with influences from Bowie, U2, Soundgarden, Sly, and “pretty much everything what inspires them”
In 2005, Strong recorded “When I'm Coming Home” in Los Angeles for the film Brothers. The following year, he released the album Greatest Hits on the Sony BMG label. This record consists of tracks from all of Strong's previous recordings and a couple of new tracks he co-wrote. During 2006 and 2007 he toured Europe and Australia to promote Greatest Hits while also writing and recording with The Bone Yard Boys.
In 2009, Strong played his first US East Coast tour since 1998, while also playing festivals in Europe, and also recording with The Bone Yard Boys. In 2010 he performed concerts on a US West Coast tour and played festivals in Europe. The Commitments got back together in March 2011 for a reunion tour to mark the 20th anniversary of the movie, with four shows in Ireland ending in the O2 Arena in Dublin to critical acclaim. They played to 24,000 people over four shows and also donated 30,000 euro to The Irish Cancer Society.
In 2014 Strong performed concerts in Australia, Germany, France (on 5 July 2014 at Cabannes, for the 10th edition of the "Nuit du Blues") and Denmark.
- Strong Label: MCA (1993)
- Out of Time Label: CMC (2000)
- Gypsy' Kiss Label: EMI/RecArt Music (2002)
- Greatest Hits Label: Columbia (2005)
- The Commitments Years and beyond : Live Label: Dixiefrog (2013)
- "The Grammy Nominations". Los Angeles Times. 9 January 1992. Retrieved 29 January 2014.
- Dougherty, Tara (October–November 2009). "Andrew Strong - Life after The Commitments". Irish America. Retrieved 29 January 2014.
- "Andrew Strong - Biography". Andrew Strong website. Retrieved 29 January 2014.
- "Andrew Strong - 2014 Tour Dates". Andrew Strong website. Retrieved 29 January 2014.