Archaeological Museum, Thrissur
|Location||Kollengode Palace, Chembukavu, Thrissur, Kerala, India|
The archaeological museum was started as Sree Mulam Chithrasala (Picture Gallery) in 1938 under the auspices of the Government of Cochin. The gallery was started in the balcony of Thrissur Town Hall, Thrissur City. Later an archaeological gallery was attached to the Picture Gallery in 1948. In 1975, the Department of Archaeology purchased a building at Chembukavu in Thrissur City and the archaeological and Picture Gallery were shifted to the new building in 1975 and named it as Archaeological Museum, Thrissur.
The museum houses big life-size statues of famous and eminent personalities, models of ancient temples, monuments, manuscripts written on dry palm leaves, megalith collection consisting of earthen pots, Urn burials (Nannangadi) black and red wares, black wares russet coated wares, stone age tools, excavated materials from Indus Valley Civilization and Harappa, excavated materials from megalithic sites like beads, iron implements, excavated materials from Cheraman Parambu (Kodungallur) stone sculptures ranging from the 10th century to the 7th century, bronze sculptures ranging from the 12th century to the 18th century etc. It has artifacts from Thrissur district, Wayanad district and Palakkad district.
- (Open 1000 – 1700 hours on all days except Mondays and National Holidays).
- "Mural Art, Thrissur". Kerala Holidays. Archived from the original on 18 March 2014. Retrieved 10 June 2012.
- "Archaeological Museum". Kerala Tourism. Archived from the original on 11 September 2013. Retrieved 10 June 2012.
- "Thrissur". Rang 7. Archived from the original on 18 March 2014. Retrieved 10 June 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kollengode Palace.|