|Municipality of Whitestone|
Whitestone municipal office in Dunchurch
|• Mayor||Chris Armstrong|
|• Federal riding||Parry Sound—Muskoka|
|• Prov. riding||Parry Sound—Muskoka|
|• Land||957.93 km2 (369.86 sq mi)|
|• Density||1.0/km2 (3/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
In 2000, the Municipality of Whitestone was formed out of Unorganized Centre Parry Sound District and incorporated by the Parry Sound District Restructuring Commission. The new municipality includes the geographic townships of East Burpee, Burton, McKenzie, Ferrie, Hagerman, and part of Croft, as well as the communities of Ardbeg, Dunchurch, Maple Island, and the village of Whitestone.
A popular attraction was once the Ardbeg fire tower, which was one of the last remaining manned towers in Southern Ontario until the early 1970s when aerial forest fire detection took over. It stood on a small hill where the road meets the railway.
The township comprises the communities of Ardbeg, Boakview, Bolger, Burton, Dunchurch, Fairholme, Lorimer Lake, Maple Island, South Magnetawan, Sunny Slope, Wahwashkesh, and Whitestone.
The municipality's vegetation is dominated by white pine trees, and the area is dotted with many lakes, including Wahwashkesh Lake, Shawanaga Lake, Whitestone Lake, and Lorimer Lake. The three major rivers are Magnetawan River, Shawanaga River, and Naiscoot River, all flowing west into Georgian Bay.
- Population in 2011: 918 (2006 to 2011 population change: -10.9%)
- Population in 2006: 1030
- Population in 2001: 853
- Population in 1996: 802 (adjusted for 2001 boundaries)
Private dwellings occupied by usual residents: 416 (total dwellings: 1093)
- English as first language: 88.4%
- French as first language: 2.9%
- English and French as first language: 0%
- Other as first language: 8.7%
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Whitestone, Ontario.|