Location of Atlanta in Winn Parish, Louisiana.
Location of Louisiana in the United States
|• Total||1.08 sq mi (2.80 km2)|
|• Land||1.08 sq mi (2.80 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.00 km2)|
|Elevation||230 ft (70 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||140.48/sq mi (54.23/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
Atlanta is located at (31.808591, -92.736653).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 1.1 square miles (2.8 km2), all land.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 150 people, 57 households, and 42 families residing in the village. The population density was 139.8 inhabitants per square mile (54.1/km²). There were 80 housing units at an average density of 74.6 per square mile (28.9/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 88.00% White, 10.00% African American and 2.00% Native American.
There were 57 households, out of which 45.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.4% were married couples living together, 12.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.6% were non-families. 21.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.63 and the average family size was 3.07.
In the village, the population was spread out with 26.0% under the age of 18, 10.7% from 18 to 24, 30.7% from 25 to 44, 23.3% from 45 to 64, and 9.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 32 years. For every 100 females, there were 94.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.7 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $26,875, and the median income for a family was $29,531. Males had a median income of $45,833 versus $25,000 for females. The per capita income for the village was $21,021. There were 15.4% of families and 15.1% of the population living below the poverty line, including 12.5% of under eighteens and none of those over 64.
On November 29, 2010 Atlanta was hit by an EF4 tornado. The tornado completely destroyed a large home and caused severe damage to several other homes. This was the second EF4 tornado to strike Louisiana in 2010. The Atlanta tornado was the 13th EF4 tornado of the year in the United States, the most since 1999.
The late State Representative Ashton B. Collier, who served from 1956–1960 and again from 1964–1970, resided in Atlanta. He was succeeded and preceded in the House by Winnfield businessman P. K. Smith.
- Mayor Finklea is listed among the state and local officials who have endorsed the reelection in 2014 of Democrat U.S. Senator Mary Landrieu.
- "Landrieu's GOP Endorsements Pale In Comparison To 2008 Election". thehayride.com. Retrieved September 12, 2014.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Jul 2, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- Leeper, Clare D'Artois (19 October 2012). Louisiana Place Names: Popular, Unusual, and Forgotten Stories of Towns, Cities, Plantations, Bayous, and Even Some Cemeteries. LSU Press. p. 23. ISBN 978-0-8071-4740-5.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on April 26, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Greggory E. Davies, William Edenborn of Winn Parish, La". files.usgwarchives.org. Archived from the original on March 16, 2012. Retrieved October 30, 2010.