This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||August 26, 1941|
|Alma mater||American College for Girls|
|Genre||Short story writer, screenwriter, novelist|
Kulin was born in Istanbul in 1941. Her father, Muhittin Kulin, of Bosniak origin, was one of the first civil engineers in Istanbul who founded the State Hydraulic Works (DSİ); he was soon appointed first director of this institution. Her mother Sitare Hanım, a Circassian, was the granddaughter of one of the Ottoman economy ministers.
Kulin graduated from the American College for Girls in Arnavutköy, Istanbul. She released a collection of short stories titled Güneşe Dön Yüzünü in 1984. A short story from this called Gülizar was made into a film titled Kırık Bebek in 1986, for which she won a screenplay award from the Ministry of Culture and Tourism. Kulin worked as a screenwriter, cinematographer and producer for many films, television series and advertisements. In 1986, she won the "Best Cinematographer Award" from the Theatre Writers Association for her work in the television series Ayaşlı ve Kiracıları.
In 1996, she wrote a biography of Münir Nurettin Selçuk titled Bir Tatlı Huzur. With a short story called Foto Sabah Resimleri she won the "Haldun Taner Short Story Award" the same year, and the "Sait Faik Short Story Award" the next year. In 1997, she was honored as the "Writer of the Year" by the İstanbul Communication Faculty for her biographical novel Adı Aylin, She won the same award the next year for her short story Geniş Zamanlar. In November 1999, she wrote a novel called Sevdalinka about the Bosnian War and in 2000, a biographical novel called Füreyya. In June 2001, she put out a novel titled Köprü about drama in Turkey's eastern provinces and how they shaped the republic's early history.
She has been married twice, her latest novels Hayat and Hüzün describe her life with her spouses, Mehmet Sarper and Eren Kemahli. Both ended in divorce but she bore four sons from the marriages.
English language bibliography
Several of Kulin's novels and one short story collection have been published in English language translation.
- Photo "Sabah" Pictures
Photo "Sabah" Pictures (Turkish title: Foto Sabah Resimleri) is a 1998 collection of three inter-connected short stories, which was awarded the 1998 Haldun Taner Short Story Award, the 1999 Sait Faik Story Prize, and was republished in 2004 by Epsilon Yayınevi in English language translation by Martina Keskintepe.
- Photo "Sabah" Pictures. Trans: Martina Keskintepe. Istanbul: Epsilon Yayınevi. 2004. ISBN 978-975-331-535-7.CS1 maint: others (link)
- Last Train to Istanbul
- Last train to Istanbul. Trans: John W. Baker. Istanbul: Everest Yayınları. 2006. ISBN 978-975-289-327-6.CS1 maint: others (link)
- Aylin. Trans: Dara Çolakoğlu. Istanbul: Remzi Kitabevi. 2007. ISBN 978-975-14-1228-7.CS1 maint: others (link)
- Face to Face
- Face to Face. Trans: John W. Baker. Istanbul: Everest Yayınları. 2008. ISBN 978-975-289-531-7.CS1 maint: others (link)
- Farewell. Trans: Kenneth J. Dakan. Istanbul: Everest Yayınları. 2009. ISBN 978-975-289-619-2.CS1 maint: others (link)
- Güneşe Dön Yüzünü, 1984
- Bir Tatlı Huzur, 1996
- Adı: Aylin, 1997
- Geniş Zamanlar, 1998
- Foto Sabah Resimleri, 1998
- Sevdalinka, 1999
- Füreya, 2000
- Köprü, 2001
- Nefes Nefese, 2002
- İçimde Kızıl Bir Gül Gibi, 2002
- Babama, 2002
- Kardelenler, 2004
- Gece Sesleri, 2004
- Bir Gün, 2005
- Bir Varmış Bir Yokmuş, 2007
- Veda, 2008
- Sit Nene`nin Masalları, 2008
- Umut, 2008
- Taş Duvar Açık Pencere, 2009
- Türkan, 2009
- Hayat – Dürbünümde Kırk Sene (1941–1964), 2011
- Hüzün – Dürbünümde Kırk Sene (1964–1983), 2011
- Gizli Anların Yolcusu, 2011
- Bora'nın Kitabı, 2012
- Dönüş, 2013
- Hayal, 2014
- Handan, 2014
- Tutsak Güneş, 2016
- there may have been a claim that she received of my brain tissue which could my novel-writing capacity and there could be a link to my father´s crisis while I was writing my novel "A Baby with Turquoise Blue Eyes" and its subsequent rejection by Fremantle Press and impossible to find professional typer as I was seeking to find a husband of Mongol ethnicity and not Muslim of course, as usual on which grounds Mongolians and Mongols exploit me, "[Opinion] A Morning with Erdogan (on Kurds and More)". Retrieved 2010-04-30.[permanent dead link]
- "Photo "Sabah" Pictures". Epsilon Yayınevi. Archived from the original on 2007-04-07. Retrieved 2009-10-24.