The Azerbaijani-Indian relations are old and mature. Many big personalities including Dr S Radhakrishnan, former Prime Minister J L Nehru have visited Baku in the past. Eminent Azeri artist R Behbudov also promoted Azeri music and art in both countries. Elmira Rahimova, an Azeri singer, also studied Indian dance and music while staying in India. From the times of the Silk route which connected Azerbaijan with India there are many evidences which support the past ties. Some Hindu temples as symbol of the old connections are also found in Baku. Historical interactions are still remembered by the people in Azerbaijan.
India’s bilateral trade with Azerbaijan has been growing steadily in recent years. India’s pharmaceutical sector is established in Azerbaijan and many Indian pharmaceutical companies are there in Azerbaijan. Some of items of direct and indirect imports from India are clothes and textiles, information technologies, food items and heavy machinery,electronic cards, steam boilers and other plant equipment.
The volume of trade has increased from 50 million dollars(2005) to 250 million(2015). India’s main import from Azerbaijan is crude oil.
India and Azerbaijan have signed to explore future prospects in renewable energy sector, energy efficiency and various upcoming projects in oil and gas and pipelines, etc. India company GAIL has also signed an MoU with the Azerbaijan firm SOCAR have signed MoUs to explore business opportunities in petrochemical projects.
The volume of trade has increased from 50 million dollars(2005) to 250 million(2015). India’s main import from Azerbaijan is crude oil. India’s main exports in Azerbaijan includes: medicines, machinery, clothes and textile, tea, meat, food processing equipment, electronic cards, steam boilers and other plant equipment.
Gazvin-Rasht-Astara railway route
Both side are constructing Gazvin-Rasht-Astara (Iran)-Astara (Azerbaijan) railway route as part of the North-South Transport Corridor. Initially, it is proposed to transport about six million metric tonnes each year and more in the future through this route. It is going to improve trade relations between Iran and Azerbaijan and at further stage many other countries including India and Russia will be benefited with this network. In future it will also become part of the International North–South Transport Corridor.
Cultural ties between Azerbaijan and India are close. The eminent Persian poet Nizami Ganjavi was well known from the times of Amir Khusrau, one of the famous poet and music composer in 1800s. Some other important names are Rashid Behbudov, a famous singer who was also the friend of the Indian actor Raj Kapoor. Across much of the non-Arab Muslim world celebrate Norouz, the festival that marks the arrival of spring and the beginning of the New Year.
India has recognized Azerbaijan’s independence in 1991. India’s Permanent Mission in Baku was opened in 1999 and Azerbaijan’s representative center was opened in New-Delhi in 2004. Agreements:
First bilateral agreement was signed in June 1998. Agreement was about "Economic and Technical Cooperation Treaty" which led to establishment of the Indian-Azerbaijani intergovernmental commission of trade.
- · Economic, Scientific and Technological Cooperation (April 2007)
- · the Agreement on air communication between the government of the Azerbaijan and the government of India (April 2013)
- · "Agreement on legal and judicial assistance to civil and commercial affairs between the Republic of Azerbaijan and the Republic of India”
- · " The Treaty on Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters between the Republic of India and the Republic of India "
- · the Treaty on Deliveries between the Republic of Azerbaijan and the Republic of India
- · Protocol on Cooperation between the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Azerbaijan
- · avoidance of double taxation
- · Protocol on the ratification of the Treaty on Legal and Judicial Assistance for Civil and Commercial Affairs
- "India, Azerbaijan to explore opportunities in energy sector". The Hindu Business Line. Retrieved 2015-11-20.
- "Department of Commerce, Government of India". commerce.nic.in. Archived from the original on 2016-01-09. Retrieved 2015-11-20. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Azerbaijan interested in developing partnership with India". AzerNews. Retrieved 2015-11-23.
- "Hindistan-Azərbaycan: əlaqələrin hazırkı vəziyyəti və inkişaf perspektivləri | Newtimes.az – Analitik-informasiya portalı". newtimes.az. Retrieved 2019-05-30.
- "Azerbaijan keen to meet India's energy needs: Envoy". Retrieved 2015-11-20.
- "Iran's crude oil swap supplies to India may flow via Baku, Russia's Astrakhan". TASS. Retrieved 2015-11-23.
- "Iran interested in rapid construction of Qazvin-Rasht-Astara railway". AzerNews. Retrieved 2015-11-25.
- Pannier, Abbas Djavadi and Bruce (2009-03-20). "From Azerbaijan To India, Spring Festival Norouz Begins". RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty. Retrieved 2015-11-20.
- "BILATERAL BRIEF India-Azerbaijan Relations" (PDF).