Azhikode and Azhikkal
Gulikan Theyyam at Puthiya Mundayat
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|ISO 3166 code||IN-KL|
Azhikode is a coastal village situated in Kannur district of Kerala, south India. The northern end of the village is called Azhikkal. The place is the birthplace of Sukumar Azhikode, an influential thinker and literary critic. It is about 5 km from Kannur.
Beaches in Azhikode
Azhikode is famous for its beaches like
- Meenkunnu beach (Fish hill)
- Chalil Beach and Gardens (Chal beach)
- Azhikkal Estuary
- Palliyamoola beach
- Payyambalam beach
Kannur city is connected to Azhikode and Azhikkal from Payyambalam beach through Palliyamoola beach, Chal beach, Azhikode South, Meenkunnu Beach, Azhikode North and finally Azhikkal. Villages like Alavil, Manal, Chirakkal, Puthiyatheru and Valapattanam are connected to Azhikode. Vankulathvayal is one of largest commercial centre in azhikode.
Pin code of Azhikode is 670009
It is also the birthplace of famous personalities like Sukumar Azhikode and Shihabbuddin Poythumkadavu. Azhikode has large number of temples and mosques and is well connected with roads. Valapattanam Railway Station is the nearest railway station. It is well connected to the Kannur City via roads. Steady flow of buses in all directions provide a fluent system of transport.
Azhikkal estuary is the northern end of Azhikod village. The place has a small port and a fishing harbour. It is the site for a proposed expanded cargo port. The Valapattanam River empties into the Arabian Sea at Azhikkal. The Indian Coast Guard Academy is under construction at Irinave, near to Azhikkal.
- "Assembly Constituencies - Corresponding Districts and Parliamentary Constituencies" (PDF). Kerala. Election Commission of India. Archived from the original (PDF) on 30 October 2008. Retrieved 18 October 2008.
- No vessel calls at Azhikkal port
- "First Coast Guard academy to come up at Azheekkal". Archived from the original on 24 October 2012. Retrieved 15 December 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Azhikode, Kannur.|
|This article related to a location in Kannur district, Kerala, India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|