BBC Wales headquarters building
|BBC Wales headquarters building|
3 Central Square
Artist's impression of the
BBC Wales headquarters building
|Architectural style||High-tech architecture|
|Location||Cardiff city centre|
|Address||3 Central Square, Cardiff CF10 1FP|
|Construction started||7 December 2015 |
|Client||BBC Cymru Wales|
|Owner||British Broadcasting Corporation|
|Floor count||5 |
|Floor area||13,900 m2 (150,000 sq ft)|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||Gerard Evenden |
|Architecture firm||Foster + Partners |
|Structural engineer||Arup |
|Main contractor||ISG UK Construction West|
The new BBC Wales headquarters building, officially known as 3 Central Square and also known as BBC New Broadcasting House, is located in Central Square, Cardiff. The £120 million building will replace the BBC Cymru Wales Broadcasting House in Cardiff.
Design and construction
Construction started in December 2015 on the site of the former Cardiff Central bus station. The building will be half the size of the current Broadcasting House in Llandaff. The BBC received the keys to the building in April 2018, after which the headquarters would be fitted out with new technology before staff moved in, expected in the autumn of 2019.
The building has been designed by Foster + Partners,, with the interior design by Overbury and Sheppard Robson. There will be four floors providing office, studio and production space. There will be desk space for 750 staff, on the basis that not all the 1,200 staff will be on site at the same time.
It is envisaged that an estimated 50,000 people will visit the new building every year. The BBC agreed a 20 year lease on the building at an annual rent of around £25 per square foot per annum with Rightacres Property Company, the developer of the Central Square.
- "ISG named as main contractor for BBC Wales new headquarters at Central Square scheme in the centre of Cardiff". Wales Online. 18 November 2015. Retrieved 25 September 2017.
- Chris Pyke (6 December 2016). "The new BBC HQ is already changing the cityscape of Cardiff". Wales Online. Retrieved 26 December 2017.
- "BBC Wales Broadcasting House, Cardiff". SteelConstruction.info. Retrieved 26 December 2017.
- Sion Barry (26 June 2015). "Plans revealed for one of Wales's most ambitious development projects at Central Square scheme in Cardiff". Wales Online. Retrieved 31 December 2017.
- "First images inside BBC Wales' new £120m headquarters in the centre of Cardiff". Wales Online. 7 July 2017. Retrieved 25 September 2017.
- "Central Square & BBC Wales Headquarters Building (Sept 14)". Design Commission for Wales. Retrieved 28 September 2017.
- Huw Thomas (10 June 2014). "BBC Wales HQ at bus station site". BBC News. Retrieved 25 September 2017.
- "BBC get keys to new Cardiff Central Square HQ". Property Magazine International. 18 April 2018.
- Sion Barry (25 April 2018). "Inside the new £100m BBC Cymru Wales headquarters". Wales Online. Retrieved 15 October 2018.
- "What the relocation of BBC Wales' headquarters means for Cardiff city centre". Walesonline. 2014-06-12. Retrieved 25 September 2017.
- Media related to 3 Central Square at Wikimedia Commons