BRP Davao del Sur (LD-602)
BRP Davao del Sur at Exercise RIMPAC 2018.
|Name:||BRP Davao del Sur|
|Namesake:||Province of Davao del Sur|
|Awarded:||29 August 2013|
|Launched:||29 September 2016|
|Commissioned:||31 May 2017|
|Status:||In commission with Philippine Navy|
|Class and type:||Tarlac-class landing platform dock|
|Length:||123 m (404 ft)|
|Beam:||21.8 m (72 ft)|
|Draft:||5 m (16 ft)|
|Installed power:||1 x MAN D 2842 LE301 diesel generator|
|Speed:||16 knots (30 km/h) maximum|
|Range:||9,360 nautical miles (17,300 km)|
|Boats & landing |
|Capacity:||500 troops and associated vehicles & equipment|
|Sensors and |
|Electronic warfare |
|Electronic Warfare Suite (planned)|
|Aircraft carried:||2 x 10-ton naval helicopters|
|Aviation facilities:||Hangar and flight deck for 2 medium helicopters|
BRP Davao del Sur (LD-602) is the second and last ship of her class of the Philippine Navy's landing platform docks. She is the second ship to be named after the Philippine province of Davao del Sur, one of the main provinces in Mindanao in Southern Philippines.
On the third week of May 2018, the BRP Davao del Sur participated in the commemorative activities of the first anniversary of the renaming of the Philippine Rise off the coast of Eastern Luzon. Among the activities that were done on board the ship were:
- President Rodrigo Duterte signed the proclamation declaring portions of the Philippine Rise as a marine protected area and then led the send off for a team of Filipino scientists on a research mission to the Philippine Rise.
- A Ceremonial Flag Raising ceremony participated by military and other government personnel was also made.
BRP Davao Del Sur was deployed with BRP Andrés Bonifacio (FF-17) to RIMPAC 2018, starting their voyage on June 11, 2018 and rendezvousing with ships from several regional navies and arriving at Pearl Harbor on June 27, 2018.
Among the events the ship participated at RIMPAC were:
- An "Open Ship" one-day Guided Ship Tour for the public where students of Naval Officers Basic Course performed a Cultural Performance for the ship's visitors.
- The Sand Volleyball Tournament where the ship was declared the overall winner among the 49 teams from 25 nations that participated.
In June 2019, the ship transported the Marine Battalion Landing Team (MBLT)-3 from Zamboanga City to its new assignment in Palawan. Along the way, the BRP Davao del Sur conducted a Meeting Procedure and Photo Exercise with the Escort Flotilla One of the Japan Maritime Self Defense Force off the coast of Cagayan de Tawi-Tawi in the Sulu Sea. The Japanese ships consisted of the JS Izumo (DDH-183), JS Murasame and JS Akebono.
In August 2019, the ship and its 300-man Contingent sailed from Vladivostok, Russia to meet up at sea with the BRP Conrado Yap (PS-39) in South Korea for a Group Sail back to the Philippines. Both ships were then given Arrival Honors at the Manila South Harbor which included a Meeting Procedure at sea with the BRP Emilio Jacinto (PS-35).
- "First of 2 New Vessels for PH Navy to be Launched in Indonesia". globalnation.inquirer.net. Archived from the original on 2016-03-12. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
- "Philippines acquisition of its second largest naval ship is nearing". Manila Livewire. 2016-09-30. Archived from the original on 2017-07-10. Retrieved 2016-09-30.
- ""Philippine Navy will send BRP Davao Del Sur (LD-602) to Join IFR 2017"". Archived from the original on 2017-12-07. Retrieved 2017-12-07.
- ""Balikatan Exercises Start Amid Worries on China's Military Buildup in South China Sea"". Archived from the original on 2018-05-14. Retrieved 2018-05-14.
- ""Duterte Declares Parts of Benham Rise a Marine Protected Area"". Archived from the original on 2018-05-17. Retrieved 2018-05-30.
- ""Gov't Installs Markers, Buoy at Philippine Rise"". Archived from the original on 2018-05-21. Retrieved 2018-05-30.
- ""PH Ships in RIMPAC Opened for Public Tour"". Archived from the original on 2018-07-16. Retrieved 2019-07-11.
- ""BRP Davao Del Sur Team Wins RIMPAC 2018 Sand Volleyball Tournament"". Archived from the original on 2018-07-17. Retrieved 2019-07-11.
- "MBLT-3 Troops bid farewell to Mindanaoans"
- "PH, Japan Warships meet off Cagayan de Tawi-Tawi"
- "BRP Davao del Sur joins Russian Navy Day celebrations". Philippine News Agency. 29 July 2019. Retrieved 29 July 2019.
- "Over 40 warships to take part in Russia's Main Naval Parade". TASS. 16 July 2019. Retrieved 29 July 2019.
- "Home at last: Navy welcomes home BRP Conrado Yap, PN Contingent aboard BRP Davao Del Sur"
- Tarlac-class landing platform dock
- BRP Tarlac (LD-601)
- List of ships of the Philippine Navy
- BRP Davao del Sur (PM-92)
Media related to BRP Davao del Sur (LD-602) at Wikimedia Commons