Bangladesh–Poland relations refer to the bilateral relations between Bangladesh and Poland. Poland was the sixth country to recognize Bangladesh. Diplomatic relations between the two countries were officially established on 12 January 1972. The Polish ambassador to Bangladesh is resident in New Delhi, India. Bangladesh has an embassy in Warsaw.
High level visits
In 1986, former Deputy Foreign Minister of Poland paid an official visit to Dhaka. In 1987 the Foreign Minister of Bangladesh visited Poland. In 1988 former Foreign Minister of Bangladesh paid an official visit to Warsaw.
In 2015, Polish ambassador to Bangladesh, Tomasz Lukaszuk met with the Vice Chancellor of the University of Dhaka Dr AAMS Arefin Siddique and had a discussion to boost the bilateral cooperation on research and educational sector.
Bangladesh has long imported most of its dairy products as powdered milk from western Europe. In 1987 a 1600-ton shipment from Poland recorded radiation levels over 300 becquerels due to the Chernobyl nuclear disaster, causing a nationwide panic.
By 1997 bilateral trade was worth US$34.8 million. Bangladeshi exports were primarily tea (70% by value), but also included plastic products, garments, jute, and fish. High value Polish exports were base metals, dairy products, ships, paper products, machinery, equipment and chemicals.
Bangladesh and Poland have shown their deep interest to expand the bilateral economic activities between the two countries and have been taking necessary steps in this regard. Poland has become one of the new destinations for manpower export of Bangladesh. Bangladeshi ready made garments, pharmaceuticals, jute and jute goods, ceramics and leather and leather goods have been identified as products with huge potential in the Polish market. Besides, Polish firms have expressed their interest to invest in the energy sector of Bangladesh.
- Kugiel, Patryk (March 2014). "Sixty Years of Poland–India Relations:Towards a Genuine Partnership?". PISM Strategic Files. 6 (42): 2.
- "Bangladesh". Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Poland. Retrieved 13 February 2014.
- Islam, Syed Serajul (February 1988). "Bangladesh in 1987: A Spectrum of Uncertainties". Asian Survey. 28 (2): 169. doi:10.2307/2644817. JSTOR 2644817.
- "Polish Ambassador calls on DU VC". Bangladesh Sangbad Sangstha. Archived from the original on 3 February 2015. Retrieved 3 February 2015.
- Mydans, Seth (5 June 1987). "Specter of Chernobyl Looms Over Bangladesh". The New York Times. p. A9. Retrieved 4 February 2015.
- "Bangladesh-Poland Trade Volume Up". Xinhua News Agency. 22 August 1998. Retrieved 4 February 2015.
- "Bangladesh to export manpower to Poland". The Daily Star. Retrieved 13 February 2014.
- "1,156 workers to get jobs in Poland". Bdnews24.com. Retrieved 13 February 2014.
- "Poland keen to reopen mission in Dhaka". Daily Sun. Retrieved 13 February 2014.
- "Polish businessmen keen to invest in energy sector". Daily Sun. Retrieved 13 February 2014.
|This Poland-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Bangladesh-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about bilateral relations is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|