Bank of Tianjin
|Joint stock commercial bank|
|Traded as||SEHK: 1578|
|Industry||Banking and Finance|
|Founded||6 November 1996|
|Yuan Fuhua - Chairman |
Yuanhua Wen - President and Director
|Products||Consumer Banking |
Number of employees
Bank of Tianjin (BoT) serves customers through a network of 109 branches across the major cities in the country. In 2015, the bank ranked 219 in terms of tier-one capital by the "Global Banking 1000" list by the UK based Banker magazine . As of 31 December 2015[update], the bank had 306 outlets and an asset base of RMB 564 billion (US$84.6 billion).
Bank of Tianjin was founded on 6 November 1996 as Tianjin City Co-operative Bank to serve the local communities of the city. In May 1998 the bank was rename Tianjin City Commercial Bank.
In March 2007, the bank's name was yet again changed to Bank of Tianjin. This was after receiving foreign direct investment of US$111.4 million from Australian based banking giant, ANZ Group. This gave ANZ group a 20% stake in Bank of Tianjin. The same year saw the bank expand its operations into Beijing.
March 2016 saw the bank list H shares on the Hong Kong Stock exchange after an IPO that was led by BOC International, ABC International and CCB International. The bank managed to raise US$950 million in the public offering short of the US$1.23 billion that the bank was initially targeting. After the IPO, the bank was caught in a $122 million fraud incident at its Shanghai branch. Agricultural Bank of China was said to be investigating a similar incident
Other than its banking core business, Bank of Tianjin holds a 35% stake in Tianjin Jixian County Bank Co. Ltd, a commercial bank in Jixian County, China. BoT initially held a 53.87% in Tianjin Jixian County Bank but later on ceded stake to other investors.
The shares of the stock of Bank of Tianjin are traded on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, under the ticker: 1578. As of 31 December 2015[update], the shareholding in the bank's stock was as depicted in the table below:
|Rank||Name of Owner||Percentage Ownership|
|1||Tianjin Port Free Trade Zone Investment Co. Ltd||19.45|
|2||Australia and New Zealand Banking Group||14.16|
Bank of Tianjin is governed by an fourteen-person Board of Directors with Yuan Fuhua serving as the Chairman of the group and Yuanhua Wen as the President and Executive Director.
- "Banks : Company Overview of Bank of Tianjin Co., Ltd". Bloomberg Businessweek. Bloomberg L.P. Retrieved 23 November 2016.
- "Bank of Tianjin IPO Prospectus" (PDF). Bank of Tianjin. 15 March 2016. Retrieved 23 November 2016.
- "ANZ Group 2006 Annual Report" (PDF). ANZ Group. Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- "Bank of Tianjin prices HK listing near bottom, raising $950 mln-source-IFR". Reuters. Thomson Reuters. 20 March 2016. Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- "Bank of Tianjin, Investors Seek Up to $1.23 Billion From IPO". Bloomberg Businessweek. Bloomberg L.P. 15 March 2016. Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- Wong, Jacky (11 April 2016). "Fresh Chinese Bank IPO Turns Sour in a Hurry". The Wall Street Journal. Dow Jones & Company. Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- "Bank of Tianjin 2015 Annual Report" (PDF). Bank of Tianjin. 29 April 2016. Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- "List of Directors and their roles and Functions" (PDF). Bank of Tianjin. 30 August 2016. Retrieved 23 November 2016.
- China Banking Association (official website)