Barkingside tube station
|Local authority||London Borough of Redbridge|
|Managed by||London Underground|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Accessible||Yes (Eastbound only)|
|London Underground annual entry and exit|
|1948||Opened (Central line)|
|4 October 1965||Goods yard closed|
|Added to list||22 February 1979|
|London transport portal|
Barkingside is a London Underground station on the Central line. It is on the eastern edge of Barkingside (a district of Ilford) in east London at the end of a cul-de-sac off Station Road (which is itself a cul-de-sac). The station is next door to the home of Redbridge F.C.. It is between Newbury Park and Fairlop stations and has been in Travelcard Zone 4 since 2 January 2007.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (February 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The station originally opened on 1 May 1903, as part of a Great Eastern Railway (GER) branch line from Woodford to Ilford via Hainault. This "Fairlop Loop", designed to stimulate suburban growth had a chequered history and Barkingside station was temporarily closed to passenger traffic, due to World War I economies, from 21 May 1916 until 30 June 1919. As a consequence of the 1921 Railways Act, the GER was merged with other railway companies in 1923 to become part of the London & North Eastern Railway (LNER).
As part of the 1935–1940 "New Works Programme" of the London Passenger Transport Board the majority of the loop was to be transferred to form the eastern extensions of the Central line. Although work commenced in 1938 it was suspended upon the outbreak of the Second World War in 1939 and work only recommenced in 1946. Steam train services serving Barkingside were suspended on 29 November 1947 and electrified Central line passenger services, to Central London via Gants Hill, finally commenced on 31 May 1948. The line from Newbury Park to Hainault through Barkingside had been electrified for empty train movements to the new depot at Hainault from 14 December 1947.
The station today
This section needs additional citations for verification. (May 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The station contains two platforms, one for each direction.
Few alterations took place to the station upon transfer to the Underground. Barkingside station is a "Grade II" listed building, marking it as a structure of architectural significance. Probably designed under the direction of W. N. Ashbee, the GER architect, it is dominated by a substantial brick building, surmounted by a cupola. The interior is notable for the fine hammerbeam roof to the ticket hall. Both platforms retain the ornate canopies with the "GER" initials still visible in the bracketry.
The station has toilet facilities, and a waiting room on the Westbound platform.
Services and connections
The typical off-peak service in trains per hour (tph) is:
- 6 tph eastbound to Hainault
- 3 tph eastbound to Woodford via Hainault
- 9 tph to Ealing Broadway
- "Step free Tube Guide" (PDF). Transport for London. March 2019. Archived (PDF) from the original on 1 June 2019.
- "Multi-year station entry-and-exit figures" (XLSX). London Underground station passenger usage data. Transport for London. January 2018. Retrieved 22 July 2018.
- Hardy, Brian, ed. (March 2011). "How it used to be – freight on The Underground 50 years ago". Underground News. London Underground Railway Society (591): 175–183. ISSN 0306-8617.
- Historic England. "Main Building on Western Platform at Barkingside (London Transport Executive) Station, Station Road (1081012)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- Standard Tube Map (PDF) (Map). Not to scale. Transport for London. May 2019. Archived (PDF) from the original on 1 June 2019.
- Feather, Clive. "Central line". Clive's Underground Line Guides. Archived from the original on 2 May 2015. Retrieved 2 May 2015.
- "Buses from Barkingside" (PDF). Transport for London. August 2013. Archived (PDF) from the original on 2 May 2015. Retrieved 14 March 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Barkingside tube station.|
- London Transport Museum Photographic Archive
|Preceding station||London Underground||Following station|