Battle of Darzab (2017)
On 9 April, four Afghan soldiers, including a unit commander, were killed in an ambush as they raced to the scene of the recent clashes in Darzab by ISIL fighters. One day after, Taliban, alongside ISIL fighters attacked Alkhani and Moghol villages of Darzab district, leaving 13 Taliban fighters dead, and 10 ISIL fighters wounded, including ISIL commander Mullah Ghanzanfar. Taliban managed to capture Alkhani, but repelled in Moghol. Separately, a Taliban commander, Faiz Mohammad was killed and one of his fighters wounded when they stormed a security post in Qush Tepa District near Darzab. A civilian woman was also killed when a militant rocket struck a home on the outskirts of the district.
Fighting between Taliban and ISIL
On 26 April, ISIL kidnapped 3 drug dealers in Darzab that were to have an opium deal with the Taliban. Taliban repeatedly asked ISIL to release the captives, but the later refused, leading the Taliban to gather forces in Darzab. After that, ISIL attacked the Taliban killing 79 Taliban fighters, wounding another 57, and capturing another 60. Among the dead Taliban fighters were three commanders, Sheikh Hamidullah, the Taliban district chief for Qush Tapa district and Tawakkal, Shahzada Mazlomyar, and Mohibullah. One Taliban commander was also among the captured, named Haji Nokur. Also, 15 ISIL fighter killed, and 12 wounded. ISIL captured most of Darzab from Taliban, along with Qush Tapa during the fighting.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (September 2018)
- Jawad Sukhanyar; Rod Nordland (28 June 2017). "ISIS, Aided by Ex-Taliban Groups, Makes Inroads in Northern Afghanistan". The New York Times. Retrieved 13 August 2018.
- "Afghan forces recapture Jawzjan's Darzab district | Pajhwok Afghan News". Pajhwok.com. 2017-06-21. Retrieved 2018-04-30.
- Agencies (10 April 2017). "US soldier, 13 Afghan troops killed in three attacks". Retrieved 6 May 2017.
- "13 militants killed in fighting in northern Afghanistan - Xinhua - English.news.cn". news.xinhuanet.com. Retrieved 6 May 2017.
- News, VOA. "Afghan Violence Leaves 13 Afghan, 1 US Soldiers Dead". Retrieved 6 May 2017.
- "News of the Day From Around the World". Retrieved 6 May 2017.
- MENAFN. "1 woman, 13 militants killed in Jawzjan clashes". Retrieved 6 May 2017.
- "Nearly 100 dead as Taliban, Daesh clash in Afghanistan". Anadolu Agency. Retrieved 6 May 2017.
- "ISIS in Afghanistan is attacking the Taliban, killing dozens". Retrieved 6 May 2017.
- MENAFN. "Afghanistan- 91 dead as Taliban-Daesh clash goes on in Jawzjan". Retrieved 6 May 2017.
- "Around 100 Taliban, ISIS militants killed in clashes: Afghanistan". 27 April 2017. Retrieved 6 May 2017.