|Platform(s)||PlayStation 4, Microsoft Windows|
Beat Saber is a 2018 virtual reality rhythm game created by Czech-Slovak-based indie studio Beat Games (formerly named Hyperbolic Magnetism) in which the player slashes blocks representing musical beats with a pair of energy blades resembling lightsabers from the Star Wars universe. The game has been released in early access for the HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Windows Mixed Reality on Microsoft Windows PCs, and on PlayStation VR. Beat Saber is playable on Linux via Valve's modified distribution of Wine.
The game includes several songs with up to five levels of difficulty. In each song, the game presents the player with a stream of approaching blocks in sync with the song's beats and notes, arranged in a 4x3 grid as seen by the player. The player uses VR motion controllers to wield a pair of lightsabers that are used to slash the blocks. Each block is colored red or blue to indicate whether the red or blue saber should be used to slash it (red for left and blue for right), and may be marked with an arrow for one of eight possible directions to slash through the block. There are also blocks with dots instead of arrows, which players may hit in any direction. When a block is slashed by a saber, it is destroyed and a score is awarded, based on the length and angles of the swing and the accuracy of the cut. In addition there are occasionally mines that the player should not hit, and obstacles in the form of oncoming walls that the player's head should avoid.
In its early access version, the game includes a single player mode as well as a party mode which features a leaderboard generated based on names entered after each song is played.
An editor was announced for release, which would allow for the creation of custom user songs, but it was later postponed indefinitely. On June 25, 2018, the developers announced that multiplayer was being worked into the game.
The game was released on PlayStation 4 on November 20, 2018. The game uses the PS VR Headset and two PS Move controllers. A single-saber mode is also available.
On May 2, 2019, to celebrate the game's first anniversary, a prototype version created three years prior was released to the public as Beat Saber Origins.
In March 2019, Beat Games released a paid DLC music pack for the game, called "Monstercat Music Pack Vol. 1", that includes ten songs from record label Monstercat. The following month, "Crab Rave" was added as a free update.
In March 2019, the game was said to have sold over 1 milion copies.
|2018||The Game Awards 2018||Best VR/AR Game||Nominated|||
|Gamers' Choice Awards||Fan Favorite VR Game||Won|||
|2019||New York Game Awards||Coney Island Dreamland Award for Best Virtual Reality Game||Nominated|||
|D.I.C.E. Awards||Immersive Reality Technical Achievement||Nominated|||
|Immersive Reality Game of the Year||Won|
|National Academy of Video Game Trade Reviewers Awards||Game, Music or Performance-Based||Won|||
|Sound Mixing in Virtual Reality||Won|
|SXSW Gaming Awards||Excellence in Gameplay||Nominated|||
|Most Promising New Intellectual Property||Won|
|Trending Game of the Year||Nominated|
|VR Game of the Year||Won|
|Game Developers Choice Awards||Best VR/AR Game||Won|||
|15th British Academy Games Awards||Debut Game||Nominated|||
|Czech Game of the Year Awards||Developer's Award - Main Award||Won|||
|Game Journalists Award||Won|
|Best Game Design||Nominated|
|Best Technological Solution||Nominated|
- Hunt, Cale (April 5, 2018). "Beat Saber: Everything we know about the VR rhythm game". Windows Central. Retrieved May 9, 2018.
- Krishna, Swapna (August 22, 2018). "Steam Play for Linux now lets you play Windows games". Engadget. Retrieved October 23, 2018.
- Lanier, Liz (August 22, 2018). "Linux Users Just Got Access to More Steam Games". Variety. Retrieved October 23, 2018.
- Horti, Samuel (May 6, 2018). "VR rhythm game Beat Saber, now the highest rated game on Steam, releasing level editor next week". PC Gamer. Retrieved May 9, 2018.
- Jagneaux, David (June 25, 2018). "Beat Saber Developer Is Currently Working On A Multiplayer Update". UploadVR.
- "Beat Saber". PlayStation. Retrieved November 28, 2018.
- "Beat Saber Releases Origins Early Build To Celebrate First Anniversary". techmoneyfit.com. 2019-03-04. Retrieved 2019-05-10.
- Horti, Samuel (16 March 2019). "Beat Saber releases first paid DLC music pack". PC Gamer. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Crab Rave is the Latest Free Beat Saber Song, Available Now". PlayStation LifeStyle. 2019-04-01. Retrieved 2019-04-14.
- "Beat Saber for PlayStation 4 Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved December 23, 2018.
- Princ, Zdeněk. "Beat Saber překonal hranici milionu prodaných kusů". www.vortex.cz (in Czech). Vortex. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- Grant, Christopher (December 6, 2018). "The Game Awards 2018: Here are all the winners". Polygon. Retrieved December 8, 2018.
- "2018 Gamers' Choice Awards". Gamers' Choice Awards. December 9, 2018. Retrieved January 4, 2019.
- Keyes, Rob (January 3, 2019). "2018 New York Game Awards Nominees Revealed". Screen Rant. Retrieved January 6, 2019.
- Makuch, Eddie (January 10, 2019). "God Of War, Spider-Man Lead DICE Awards; Here's All The Nominees". GameSpot. Retrieved January 14, 2019.
- McWhertor, Michael (February 14, 2019). "God of War wins big at DICE Awards 2019". Polygon. Retrieved February 14, 2019.
- "Nominee List for 2018". National Academy of Video Game Trade Reviewers. February 11, 2019. Retrieved February 14, 2019.
- "Winner list for 2018: God of War breaks record". National Academy of Video Game Trade Reviewers. March 13, 2019. Retrieved March 13, 2019.
- Trent, Logan (February 11, 2019). "Here Are Your 2019 SXSW Gaming Awards Finalists!". South by Southwest. Retrieved February 15, 2019.
- Khan, Zarmena (March 17, 2019). "God of War Takes Home 'Game of the Year' at SXSW 2019 Gaming Awards". PlayStation LifeStyle. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Good, Owen S. (January 4, 2019). "Red Dead Redemption 2 tops list of Game Developers Choice nominees". Polygon. Retrieved January 6, 2019.
- Williams, Mike (March 20, 2019). "God of War Wins Another GOTY at 2019 Game Developers Choice Awards". USGamer. Retrieved March 21, 2019.
- Fogel, Stefanie (March 14, 2019). "'God of War,' 'Red Dead 2' Lead BAFTA Game Awards Nominations". Variety. Retrieved March 14, 2019.
- "Nejlepší českou hrou je hudební Beat Saber od Beat Games". ČeskéVoviny.cz (in Czech). April 5, 2019. Retrieved April 6, 2019.