This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Location of Bhiwani district in Haryana
|Tehsils||1. Bhiwani, 2. Bawani Khera, 3. Tosham, 4. Siwani, 5. Loharu|
|• Lok Sabha constituencies||1. Bhiwani-Mahendragarh (shared with Charkhi Dadri and Mahendragarh districts), 2. Hisar (shared with Hisar and Jind districts)|
|• Vidhan Sabha constituencies||1. Bhiwani, 2. Loharu, 3. Tosham, 4. Bawani Khera|
|• Total||3,432 km2 (1,325 sq mi)|
|• Density||480/km2 (1,200/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+05:30 (IST)|
Bhiwani district is one of the 22 districts of the northern Indian state of Haryana. Created on 22 December 1972, the district was the largest district of the state by area, before the creation of Charkhi Dadri as a separate district, as it occupied an area of 5,140 square kilometres (1,980 sq mi) and administered 442 villages with a population of 1,634,445. Sirsa is now the largest district of the state.
The district headquarters is the city of Bhiwani, which is around 124 kilometres (77 mi) from the national capital Delhi. Other major towns in the district are Siwani, Loharu, Tosham, Bawani Khera, Kohlawas, Lamba.
Pre-Indus Valley Civilization mine, smelt and houses have been found at Khanak hills of Tosham Hill range. Excavations (1968–73 and 1980–86) in the village of Mitathal in Bhiwani have unearthed evidence of pre-Harappan and Harappan (Indus Valley Civilization) culture in the area. Near the village of Naurangabad, about 10 kilometres (6.2 mi) east of Bhiwani city, preliminary diggings in 2001 revealed artifacts including coins, tools, sieves, toys, statues and pots up to 2,500 years old. According to archaeologists the presence of coins, coin moulds, statues and design of the houses, suggests that a town existed here sometimes in the Kushan, Gupta and the Youdheya period till 300 BC.
The district comprises four sub-divisions: Bhiwani, Loharu, Siwani and Tosham. These sub-divisions are further divided into five Tehsils: Bhiwani, Loharu, Siwani, Bawani Khera and Tosham and one sub-tehsil, Behal.
There are five Vidhan Sabha constituencies in this district: Bhiwani, Loharu, Bawani Khera, Tosham and Bawani Khera. Bawani Khera is part of the Hisar (Lok Sabha constituency) while the rest are part of Bhiwani-Mahendragarh (Lok Sabha constituency).
According to the 2011 census Bhiwani district has a population of 1,634,445, roughly equal to the nation of Guinea-Bissau or the US state of Idaho. This gives it a ranking of 306th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 341 inhabitants per square kilometre (880/sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001–2011 was 14.32%. Bhiwani has a sex ratio of 884 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 76.7%.
- Devsar Dhaam - It is located on a hillock on Bhiwani-Luharu road. It has a temple devoted to the goddess Vaishno Devi.
Sports played in the area include wrestling, volleyball, boxing and running. Bhiwani has emerged as a centre of Indian boxing as all four boxers representing India at Beijing Olympics 2008 are products of Sports Authority of India (SAI) boxing hostel at Bhiwani. To top that three of them Akhil Kumar, Vijender Kumar and Jitender Kumar reached the quarterfinals of their respective categories. While Akhil Kumar and Jitender Kumar lost in their respective quarterfinals bouts Vijender Kumar qualified to the semifinals thereby ensuring India's first ever Boxing medal (Bronze) in the 2012 Summer Olympics. Paramjeet Samota who won a gold for India in the 2010 Commonwealth Games also lives in a large village called Dinod in the Bhiwani district. The wrestler sisters Geeta Phogat and Babita Kumari too belong to Balali village in Bhiwani.
- Bansi Lal - Former Chief Minister of Haryana
- Dinesh Kumar - Boxer
- Hawa Singh - Legendary boxer from Haryana
- Jagdish Singh - Boxer
- Jitender Kumar (flyweight boxer)
- Jitender Kumar (middleweight boxer)
- Richhpal Ram - Victoria Cross winner in World War-II
- Vijay Kumar Singh PVSM, AVSM, YSM, ADC - COAS for Indian Army
- Vijender Singh - Olympic Bronze medal winner in boxing
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 29 March 2010. Retrieved 27 July 2010.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- Ravindra N Singh and Dheerendra P Singh, 2016, "A Note on Metallurgy at KhanaK: An Indus Site in Tosham Mining Area, Haryana", World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology International Journal of Environmental, Chemical, Ecological, Geological and Geophysical Engineering. Vol:10, No:9.
- "Charki Dadri notified as 22nd district of Haryana". The Times of India. 5 December 2016.
- Decadal Variation In Population Since 1901
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 1 October 2011.
Guinea-Bissau 1,596,677 July 2011 est.
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 19 October 2013. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- "C-16 Population By Mother Tongue - Haryana". censusindia.gov.in. Retrieved 30 September 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bhiwani district.|