Big Mound City
Big Mound City
|Location||Canal Point, Florida|
|NRHP reference #||73000596|
|Added to NRHP||May 24, 1973|
Big Mound City (8PB48) is a prehistoric site near Canal Point, Florida, United States. It is located 10 miles east of Canal Point, off U.S. Route 98. On May 24, 1973, it was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places. It is located inside the J.W. Corbett Wildlife Management Area.
Big Mound City is the site one of four recognized monumental Native American earthworks built in the Lake Okeechobee Basin area of southeastern Florida. Dating from the Glade III Glade Period (circa 1000 AD), it is a combination of at least nine mound structures and a ridge complex, including radiating causeways and crescent-shaped man-made ponds. Some of the mounds have been identified as burial mounds. Except for a brief study by M.W. Stirling, who studied the complex in the 1930s while excavating the burial mound and midden at the Belle Glade site, Big Mound City has never been excavated. It was not until 2017 that the first dating of the complex was completed and published. Despite there being no data, such as ceramics, recovered from the site, the site has appeared repeatedly in compilations referencing the archaeology of south Florida. Researchers of mound-building cultures in Florida such as Jerald Milanich believe that the same Indians who built Big Mound City also built Tony's Mound, Fort Center and the Ortona Prehistoric Village, all in the Lake Okeechobee Basin area.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. July 9, 2010.
- "The Prehistory of the Corbett Wildlife Management Area". Retrieved 7 October 2014.
- "J.W. Corbett - History". Retrieved 7 October 2014.
- Lawres and Colvin 2017
- Milanich 1994:280,281,297, Milanich 1998:112-122 and McGoun 1993:74,101,104
- Lawres, Nathan R.; Matthew J. Colvin. "Presenting the First Chronometric Dates For Big Mound City, Florida". The Florida Anthropologist. Tallahassee, Florida. 70 (March–June 2017): 61–71.
- Milanich, Jerald T. (1994). Archaeology of Precolumbian Florida. Gainesville, Florida: The University of Florida Press. pp. 281–282. ISBN 0-8130-1273-2.
- Milanich, Jerald T. (1998). Florida's Indians From Ancient Times to the Present. Gainesville, Florida: University Press of Florida. pp. 112–122. ISBN 9780813015989.
- McGoun, William E. (1993). Prehistoric Peoples of South Florida. Tuscaloosa, Alabama: The University of Alabama Press. ISBN 0-8173-0686-2.