Coat of Arms of the Dominican Order
|Other names||The Dominican Friars of Leicester, |
Leicester Dominican Friary
|Dedicated to||St Clement|
Queen Eleanor, wife of King Henry III, left £5 in her will to the friary. In 1301 the friary received another royal gifts: seven oak trees (presumably the wood from which) from Rockingham Forest. Further monetary gifts from the royal family reveal that in 1328/29 there were 30 friars, and in 1334/35 there were 32.
Leicester held the provincial chapters for the Dominican Order in 1301, 1317 and 1334.
The friary was dissolved as part of King Henry VIII's dissolution of the monasteries and was surrendered in November 1538. At the time the friary was home to the prior and nine friars. The former friary was granted to Henry Grey, 1st Duke of Suffolk, in 1546.
Nothing remains of the friary.
Priors of Blackfriars, Leicester
List of known priors of Leicester Blackfriars:
- John Garland, occurs 1394.
- William Ceyton, occurs 1505.
- Ralph Burrell, occurs 1538.
- Leicester Blackfriars, English Heritage: PastScape
- Friaries: Friaries in Leicester, A History of the County of Leicestershire: Volume 2 (1954), pp. 33-35. Date accessed: 26 June 2013
- The ancient borough: Black Friars, A History of the County of Leicester: volume 4: The City of Leicester (1958), pp. 343-344. Date accessed: 27 June 2013