Blue Earth County Courthouse
Historic Blue Earth County Courthouse
The Blue Earth County Courthouse from the northwest
|Architect||Haley & Allen; Ring & Tobin|
|Architectural style||Late 19th And 20th Century Revivals, Other|
|MPS||Blue Earth County MRA|
|NRHP reference #||80001940 |
|Added to NRHP||July 28, 1980|
The building, completed in 1886, was the second courthouse in the county. The first courthouse in the county, a 20-by-24 foot one-story stone building, was built in 1857. It served as the location for the trial of 392 Dakota Indians after the Sioux Uprising. Thirty-eight Dakota were simultaneously hanged in December 1862.
By the late 1800s, the county commissioners felt that the previous buildings were a "disgrace and gave strangers that we were behind the times. That the county was either poverty stricken or greatly lacking in enterprise." The new building combined a Second Empire roof and dome with Italianate features. The stone was provided by a local quarry, with various techniques giving it both rusticated and ashlar surfaces. The copper-sheathed dome is capped with a statue of Lady Justice.
- National Park Service (2007-01-23). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Logue, Mary; Douglas Ohman (2006). Courthouses of Minnesota. Minnesota Historical Society. ISBN 0-87351-550-1.
- "Building Location Details: Blue Earth County Courthouse". Minnesota Judicial Branch. Retrieved 2007-06-17.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Blue Earth County Courthouse.|