Scouting in South Carolina
Scouting in South Carolina has a long history, from the 1910s to the present day, serving thousands of youth in programs that suit the environment in which they live.
- 1 Early history (1910-1950)
- 2 Scouting in South Carolina today
- 3 Girl Scouting in South Carolina
- 4 See also
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Early history (1910-1950)
In 1914, the BSA gave local councils the power to ban African Americans from Scouting. Until 1974, some southern councils of the Boy Scouts of America were still racially segregated. For example, the Old Hickory Council in North Carolina did not integrate until 1974.
Scouting in South Carolina today
Blue Ridge Council
- Headquarters located in Greenville, SC
- Foothills District
- Long Cane District
- Oconee District
- Pickens District
- Reedy Falls District
- Saluda River District
- Scoutreach Division
- Six and Twenty District
- Southbounder District
- Camp Old Indian
- Black River District
- Etiwan District
- Palmetto District (merger of Kiawah and Lowcountry District)
- Pineland District
- Swamp Fox District
- Twin Rivers District
- Council Office
- Camp Ho Non Wah
Georgia Carolina Council
Indian Waters Council
- Official Website
- Pinckney District - Spartanburg County School Districts 1 & 2 and all of Cherokee County.
- L & C District - All of Lancaster County and All of Chester County.
- Middle Tyger District - Spartanburg County School Districts 4, 5 & 6.
- Piedmont District - Spartanburg County School Districts 3 & 7 and all of Union County.
- York District - All of York County.*
- Official Website
- Camp Bob Hardin
- Home of the Best Lodge in Section 5, the one and only SKYUKA. THE ONE AND ONLY DOUBLE HEADED THUNDERBIRDS.
Pee Dee Area Council
Girl Scouting in South Carolina
There are four Girl Scout councils in South Carolina. 
Girl Scouts of South Carolina - Mountains to Midlands
This council was formed on May 1, 2007, from the merger of Girl Scout Council of the Congaree Area, Girl Scouts of the Old 96 Council, and Girl Scouts of the Piedmont Area Council, and serves 15,000 girls and adult volunteers in 22 counties  Its headquarters are located in Greenville, SC.
- Camp Mary Elizabeth - an Urban camp, 56 acres (230,000 m2) within the city of Spartanburg, SC.
- Camp WaBak - Marietta, South Carolina - 135 acres (0.5 km2) in the mountains
- Camp Wistagoman - Anderson, SC - 25 acres (100,000 m2)
- Camp Ponderosa - 40 acres (160,000 m2) in Pauline, South Carolina.
Girl Scouts of Eastern South Carolina
Girl Scouts of Eastern South Carolina (GSESC) began operations in January 2007 following the merger of Girl Scout Council of the Pee Dee Area, Inc. and Girl Scouts of Carolina Low Country. The council serves over 15,000 girls and 3,000 adults in Allendale, Bamberg, Barnwell, Beaufort, Berkeley, Calhoun, Charleston, Chesterfield, Clarendon, Colleton, Darlington, Dillon, Dorchester, Florence, Georgetown, Horry, Lee, Marion, Marlboro, Orangeburg and Williamsburg counties.. Its service centers are located in Florence, South Carolina and North Charleston, South Carolina. Its headquarters are also in North Charleston, SC.
- Sandy Ridge - Bennettsville, SC - 400 acres (1,600,000 m2)
Girl Scouts of Historic Georgia
This council serves more than 13,000 girls and 5,000 adults in Georgia, Alabama, and South Carolina. Its headquarters are in Lizella, Georgia. In South Carolina, it serves the counties of Hampton and Jasper. It does not have any camps in South Carolina. 
See also: Scouting in Georgia.
Girl Scouts, Hornet's Nest Council
The Girl Scouts, Hornets' Nest Council is headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina. It was chartered in 1935. It serves 19,000 girls in North Carolina and South Carolina. In South Carolina, it serves the county of York. It does not have any camps in South Carolina. 
See also: Scouting in North Carolina.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Scouting in South Carolina.|
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2006-08-23. Retrieved 2010-09-13. Cite uses deprecated parameter
|deadurl=(help)CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Council Finder".
- "Our Council".
- "Girl Scouts of Eastern South Carolina".
- "Girl Scouts of Historic Georgia".
- "Girl Scouts, Hornet's Nest Council".