Bolton bus station
The current station, situated on Newport Street.
|Operated by||Transport for Greater Manchester|
|Opened||3rd September 2017|
In January 2010, Transport for Greater Manchester (then the GMPTE) started a public consultation about the development of a bus station on Newport Street, replacing the bus station on Moor Lane and the small bus interchange at the railway station.
Plans for the bus station, designed by architects Aedas were submitted to Bolton Metropolitan Borough Council in April 2010 and were approved in June 2010. The plans were amended and a second consultation took place between October and December 2010. Approval for construction was granted in March 2012. The new station opened on 3 September 2017.
The majority of services that serve Bolton bus station are run by First Greater Manchester. Other operators include Arriva North West, Blackburn Bus Company, Rosso, Diamond Bus North West, Stagecoach Manchester and Stagecoach in Lancashire.
There are frequent buses running to Bury, Chorley, Leigh, Manchester Piccadilly, Manchester Shudehill, Preston, Radcliffe, Rochdale and Wigan, plus several parts of the Bolton area, such as Breightmet, Deane, Harwood, Farnworth, Great Lever, Harwood and Horwich. Buses also run to Blackburn, Darwen, Stockport, Rawtenstall and the Trafford Centre.
- "GMPTE.com – Corporate – Bolton Bus Station (design) – Public Consultation". Transport for Greater Manchester. Archived from the original on 25 June 2012. Retrieved 15 April 2012.
- "Bolton Bus Station". Aedas. Retrieved 15 April 2012.
- "A new bus station for Bolton – Detailed Design Public Consultation" (PDF). Transport for Greater Manchester. Archived from the original (PDF) on 29 June 2012. Retrieved 15 April 2012.
- "Bolton's £48m bus station plans approved". BBC News. 15 March 2012. Retrieved 15 April 2012.
- "Full speed ahead for £48m bus and train interchange". The Bolton News. 16 April 2012. Retrieved 15 April 2012.
- Bolton's £48m bus station opens BBC News 3 September 2017
- "Bolton Interchange opens to the public" Coach & Bus Week issue 1307 5 September 2017 page 11