Bowman Lake State Park
|Bowman Lake State Park|
|Location||745 Bliven Sherman Road |
Oxford, New York
|Nearest city||Oxford, New York|
|Area||653 acres (2.64 km2)|
|Operated by||New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation|
|Visitors||51,589 (in 2014)|
|Website||Bowman Lake State Park|
The land that was to become Bowman Lake State Park was originally part of the region's reforestation lands, which were acquired by the state beginning in 1929. Under the management of the New York Conservation Department, 200 campsites were established around Bowman Lake in 1962, in addition to a day use area, sand beach, and boat launch. The property was transferred to the State Parks and Recreation Commission in 1966 to be operated as a state park.
Bowman Lake State Park features one of the largest campgrounds in central New York, containing 188 campsites for tents and trailers, as well as several rustic cabins. The park's facilities also include a boat launch, a beach, picnic tables, and a nature center. Trails are available for hiking, biking, cross-country skiing, and snowmobiling. The Finger Lakes Trail also passes through the park.
The park's namesake lake is 35 acres (0.14 km2) in size and is annually stocked with trout; two additional ponds of similar size are also found within the park, offering opportunities for fishing and ice fishing. A variety of wildlife, including 103 species of birds, may be viewed at the park.
- "Bowman Lake State Park". NYS Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation. Retrieved April 9, 2016.
- "Section O: Environmental Conservation and Recreation, Table O-9". 2014 New York State Statistical Yearbook (PDF). The Nelson A. Rockefeller Institute of Government. 2014. p. 671. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2015-09-16. Retrieved April 8, 2016.
- McDonough Unit Management Plan (PDF) (Report). NYS Department of Environmental Conservation. 1999. pp. 4–5. Retrieved May 26, 2016.
- "State Park Annual Attendance Figures by Facility: Beginning 2003". Data.ny.gov. Retrieved September 9, 2015.
- Keene, Ben (2013). "Bowman Lake State Park". Camping New York: A Comprehensive Guide to Public Tent and RV Campgrounds. Globe Pequot. pp. 47–48. ISBN 0762780916. Retrieved September 9, 2015.
- "Bowman Lake State Park". NYS Department of Environmental Conservation. Retrieved September 9, 2015.
- New York State Parks: Bowman Lake State Park
- Unofficial Volunteer Website for Bowman Lake State Park
|This article about a location in Chenango County, New York is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|