Brass Knuckles (album)
|Studio album by|
|Released||September 16, 2008|
|Label||Derrty Ent., Universal Motown|
|Singles from Brass Knuckles|
Brass Knuckles is the fifth studio album by American recording artist Nelly, released on September 16, 2008 after several delays. In 2008 Nelly embarked on The Brass Knuckles Tour in support of the album.
Production was set to come from Bryan-Michael Cox, Neff-U and Pharrell, among others. Nelly mentioned in an interview that producer Polow da Don produced tracks for the album. On March 30, Nelly told HipHopDX.com that "the album would feature a handful of new producers." Nelly was set to collaborate with Springsteen but he stated he was hopeful to collaborate with him on a future album, or even a repackage of Brass Knuckles. Dupri gave a look into the two collaborations, one being Nelly, Carey and Jackson all appearing on the same track, in which he stated Nelly has laid the following blueprint.
Nelly's got a crazy collaboration he's trying to put together, which is him, Janet and Mariah Carey all on one song...That's what he wants. If he could convince them to do it, it would be crazy. [He] wants [Janet] to rap a 16-bar verse, he wants [Mariah] to sing the hook and he's gonna do two verses. [He] has it all planned out. You ask him about it! This is what he wants; he's 100-percent deadlocked into it.
Jermaine Dupri also stated possibilities of hopeful collaborations with Bruce Springsteen, Mariah Carey and Janet Jackson. Nelly went on to speak about the possibility of the Springsteen collaboration and that two of his own tracks will appear on the album.
I think he's doing a record with Bruce Springsteen. You know he always has to do one of those! My two records [that J.D. has produced for Nelly so far], he's gonna have some people on them—I won't tell it yet. I don't want to jinx the record.
The first single was believed to be "Cut It Out" which features rappers Pimp C and Sean P of YoungBloodZ, but was later confirmed to be "Wadsyaname", which was released digitally on August 21, 2007. However, because of the pushed release dates from October 16, 2007 and on, the first official single was changed to "Party People", which features Fergie. It was released on March 18, 2008 and peaked at number forty on the US Billboard Hot 100 and number fourteen on the UK Singles Chart. The album's second single "Stepped on My J'z", which features Ciara and Jermaine Dupri was released on June 11, 2008. It peaked at number ninety on the US Billboard Hot 100. "Body on Me", which features Akon and Ashanti, was released as the third single from the album on June 9, 2008. It peaked at number forty-two on the US Billboard Hot 100 and number three on the UK Singles Chart.
Reviews for the album have been generally mixed. Pharoh Martin of Vibe stated that "Brass Knuckles is standard Nelly fare." RapReviews wrote that "underneath the materialistic veneer Nelly's got a good delivery, sharp lyrics and impeccable breath control." 
Brass Knuckles debuted at number 3 on the Billboard 200, selling 83,717 copies in its first week in the United States. Only 8-weeks later, the album was left on the Billboard 200 chart. On March 21, 2009, the album re-appeared at number 152. On December 12, 2008, the album was certified gold by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) for shipping over 500,000 copies in the United States. As of September 2010, the album has sold over 223,000 copies in the United States.
|1.||"U Ain't Him" (featuring Rick Ross)||Cornell Haynes, Jr., William Roberts II, Adam Cherrington||Wyshmaster||3:15|
|2.||"Hold Up" (featuring T.I. & LL Cool J)||Cornell Haynes, Jr., Rufus Morgan, Tadd Mingo, Clifford Harris, Jr., Todd Smith||Free Agentz||3:48|
|3.||"LA" (featuring Snoop Dogg & Nate Dogg)||Cornell Haynes, Jr., Calvin Broadus, Jr., Nathaniel Hale, Theron Feemster||Theron "Neff-U" Feemster||4:23|
|4.||"Long Night" (featuring Usher)||Cornell Haynes, Jr., Ryon Lovette, Usher Raymond IV, James Lackey||James "JLack" Lackey||3:15|
|5.||"Lie" (featuring St. Lunatics)||Cornell Haynes, Jr., Jamal Jones, Brian Kennedy, Ali Jones, Robert Cleveland, Torhi Harper,||Polow da Don||4:20|
|6.||"Party People" (featuring Fergie)||Cornell Haynes, Jr., Jamal Jones, Garrett Hamler, Stacy Ferguson||Polow da Don, Garrett||3:58|
|7.||"Self-Esteem" (featuring Chuck D)||Cornell Haynes, Jr., Robert Mandell, Carlton Ridenhour||G Koop||3:37|
|8.||"Body on Me" (featuring Akon & Ashanti)||Cornell Haynes, Jr., Aliaune Thiam, Giorgio Tuinfort, Ashanti Douglas||Akon, Giorgio Tuinfort||3:29|
|9.||"Stepped on My J'z" (featuring Ciara & Jermaine Dupri)||Cornell Haynes, Jr., Jermaine Dupri, James Phillips||Jermaine Dupri||5:03|
|10.||"Let It Go (Lil Mama)" (featuring Pharrell)||Cornell Haynes, Jr., Pharrell Williams||The Neptunes||4:22|
|11.||"One and Only"||Cornell Haynes Jr., Jamal Jones, Darnell Dalton, Lamar Taylor||Polow da Don, Andrew "Papa Justifi" Wansel||4:20|
|12.||"Chill" (featuring St. Lunatics)||Cornell Haynes, Jr., Adam Cherrington, Ali Jones, Robert Cleveland , Tohri Harper, Lavell Webb||Wyshmaster||5:42|
|13.||"Who Fucks wit Me" (featuring Avery Storm)||Cornell Haynes Jr., Chris Saleh, Matthew Battle||Boom-Batts||4:08|
|14.||"Ucud Gedit" (featuring Gucci Mane & R. Kelly)||Cornell Haynes, Jr., Jamal Jones, Robert Kelly, Radric Davis||Polow da Don||4:28|
|iTunes bonus tracks|
|18.||"Warrior"||Haynes, Feemster||Theron "Neff-U" Feemster||2:43|
|19.||"Let's Go"||Haynes, Cherrington||Wyshmaster||3:44|
|Walmart bonus tracks|
|15.||"Bay"||Haynes, Earl Stevens, Jr.||Droop-E||3:42|
|16.||"Problems"||Haynes, Jones||Polow da Don||3:11|
|Japanese bonus tracks|
|17.||"Wadsyaname"||Haynes||Theron "Neff-U" Feemster||4:07|
- Sample credits
- "Stepped on My J'z" Contains a sample of "Tipsy" performed by J-Kwon.
|Australian ARIA Albums Chart||15|
|Canadian Albums Chart||22|
|French Albums Chart||88|
|Irish Albums Chart||60|
|New Zealand Albums Chart||22|
|Swiss Albums Chart||55|
|UK Albums Chart||20|
|US Billboard 200||3|
|US Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums (Billboard)||2|
|US Top Rap Albums (Billboard)||1|
- Scott Bowles, Steve Jones and Pete Johnson (September 6, 2007). Coming attractions: Nelly's ready to crack his 'Knuckles'. USA Today. Accessed September 9, 2007.
- Shaheem Reid (August 22, 2007). T.I., Akon, Snoop, Pimp C Get Behind Nelly's Brass Knuckles. MTV. Accessed August 22, 2007.
- Shaheem Reid, with additional reporting by Tim Kash and Jayson Rodriguez (May 1, 2007). Mixtape Monday: 50 Cent Talks Batman, Both New LPs; Rick Ross Rubs Elbows With Jay, Jeezy Archived July 4, 2007, at the Wayback Machine MTV. Accessed August 22, 2007.
- Shaheem Reid, with additional reporting by Rahman Dukes and Brennan Williams (October 8, 2007). The Streets Is Talking: News & Notes from the Underground Archived February 15, 2008, at the Wayback Machine. MTV. Accessed October 10, 2007.
- Jayson Rodriguez, with additional reporting by Sway J. Calloway (October 16, 2007). Nelly Ready to Battle Don Imus, Other Foes with Hard-Hitting New LP. MTV. Accessed October 16, 2007.
- Nelly in Studio with JoJo. KISS-FM (August 14, 2007). Accessed December 13, 2007.
- DADDYMACKOFNYC (February 12, 2008). on YouTube. Accessed February 13, 2008.
- Nelly & Ashanti Interview – Rap-Up TV. Rap-Up TV. Accessed August 25, 2007.
- on YouTube
- (March 30, 2008). Nelly Preps New Album Archived 2014-10-16 at the Wayback Machine. Accessed April 20, 2008.
- Anthony Springer, Jr. (August 23, 2007). Nelly Is Back! Archived 2012-06-16 at the Wayback Machine. HipHopDX. Accessed August 23, 2007.
- Kellman, Andy. "Brass Knuckles - Nelly". AllMusic. Retrieved 2011-12-04.
- RR. "Nelly's "Brass Knuckles"". RapReviews. Retrieved 2010-08-20.
- Hoard, Christian (2008-09-18). "Brass Knuckles : Nelly : Review". Rolling Stone. Archived from the original on 2008-09-06. Retrieved 2012-03-21.
- Pharoh Martin (September 17, 2008)."Nelly: "Brass Knuckles"". Archived from the original on 2008-09-20. Retrieved 2008-09-25. Vibe. Accessed September 24, 2008
- [permanent dead link]
- "Nelly Regains Cool with Taylor Swift's Help". Billboard. Retrieved 2010-11-12.
- "Brass Knuckles by Nelly on Apple Music".
- "Nelly Brass Knuckles JAPAN CD 2Bonus Mint W OBI 36 1 - eBay".
- Nelly - Brass Knuckles - Music Charts αCharts. Accessed September 24, 2008.
- Top Canadian Albums - Brass Knuckles - Nelly Billboard. Accessed September 25, 2008.
- Katie Hasty (September 24, 2008). Metallica Edges Ne-Yo, Nelly To Remain No. 1 Billboard. Accessed September 24, 2008.