Bread and Freedom Party
|Split from||Socialist Popular Alliance Party|
|National affiliation||Civil Democratic Movement|
|House of Representatives|
0 / 568
The Bread and Freedom Party (Arabic: حزب العيش والحرية; Eish we Horria), also translated as the Bread and Liberty Party, is a democratic socialist party in Egypt created by former members of the Socialist Popular Alliance Party. The party is not registered as of 10 February 2014.
280 members from the Socialist Popular Alliance Party gave their resignations in early November 2013, though the resignations were rejected by Abdel-Ghafar Shukr, the head of the party. The Daily News Egypt site gives the number of resigning members as 304. The resigning members criticized their former party for aligning itself with the military during the transitional period and defending the actions of the police. The policies of the Bread and Freedom Party include wealth redistribution and development.
- "Donald Trump's "great friend" locks up more dissidents in Egypt". The Economist. 10 June 2017. Retrieved 10 June 2017.
- "Eight liberal and leftist Egyptian parties to boycott 2018 presidential elections". Ahram Online. 30 January 2018. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Bread and Liberty Party launches campaign in support of slum dwellers". Cairo Post. 3 March 2014. Retrieved 3 March 2014.
- "New socialist party launched in Egypt". Ahram Online. 25 November 2013. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- "Six political groups to hold conference demanding release of political detainees". Ahram Online. 10 February 2014. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- "Mass membership resignations rejected by Egypt's Socialist Popular Alliance Party". Ahram Online. 9 November 2013. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- "Social Popular Alliance Party shaken by 304 resignations". Daily News Egypt. 9 November 2013. Retrieved 13 December 2013.