|Director of Oval Office Operations|
January 20, 2009 – January 20, 2017
|Succeeded by||Keith Schiller|
|Born||December 6, 1975|
Akron, Ohio, United States
Joe Mahshie (m. 2016)
|Alma mater||DePaul University, Ohio State University (B.S.)|
Brian Mosteller (born December 6, 1975) is an American operations executive and former political aide, best known for being the Director of Oval Office Operations in the Obama administration, from 2009 to 2017.
Mosteller was born in Akron, Ohio, and graduated from Revere High School. He attended DePaul University in Chicago, Illinois, and the Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio, where he graduated summa cum laude with a degree in international business. He joined the Clinton administration in 1998. There, he traveled consistently for two and a half years advancing President Clinton and then-First Lady Hillary Clinton around the world and domestically. In 2001, he was part of preparations for the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, organizing the bobsled, luge and ski jumping competitions in Park City. His Olympic experiences continued as Operations and Logistics Manager for a private entity at the 2004 Summer Olympics and 2006 Winter Olympics.
Residing in Chicago, Mosteller assisted with the Obama presidential campaign at its inception in February 2007. Working in Iowa, New Hampshire, and other pivotal states, he developed many of the policies and procedures used by the teams organizing the candidate's travels and events. He was involved in the on-site organization of the 2008 primary debates and executed the senator's role at the Democratic National Convention in Denver. Following Obama's election, Mosteller moved to Washington, D.C. and started in the Oval Office hours after the inaugural. Mosteller was one of the longest serving staff members in the administration. Anonymous colleagues noted that "if you [want a meeting] at two in the morning, you go through him."  In a 2017 interview, Obama said of Mosteller, "He’s a tireless manager and leader with a knack for sweating the small stuff."In West Winging It, a memoir published in 2018, the author references him as "responsible for maintaining dignity throughout the West Wing."
Mosteller is openly gay. On August 1, 2016, at his official residence, Vice President Joe Biden officiated at the wedding of Mosteller and Joe Mahshie, a member of First Lady Michelle Obama's White House staff.
As of early 2019, Mosteller was the Managing Director of a private family office in Palo Alto, CA.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Brian Mosteller.|
- "Obama aide fondly recalls time in White House at Akron luncheon; Brian Mosteller credited with helping Obama keep 'cool'". Akron Beacon Journal. Retrieved January 8, 2019.
- Warsinskey, Tim (February 16, 2016). "Akron native Brian Mosteller is President Obama's silent right-hand man". cleveland.com. Retrieved August 6, 2016.
- "Brian Mosteller". whitehouse.gov. February 2, 2016. Retrieved January 8, 2019.
- Itkowitz, Colby (February 15, 2015). "Meet the man who can basically read President Obama's mind". Washington Post. Retrieved January 8, 2019.
- Lowry, Rich (January 15, 1929). "Aide helps Obama run on time". Politico.com. Retrieved January 15, 2016.
- "Brian Mosteller". The White House. Retrieved February 9, 2016.
- Cardwell, Jewell (January 21, 2009). "Revere grad gets post in Obama Oval Office". Akron Beacon Journal.
- "President Obama Enters The Outer Oval Office With Brian Mosteller | The White House". Whitehouse.gov. December 13, 2013. Retrieved January 15, 2016.
- "Obama Still Hasn't Replaced Reggie Love". NYMag.com. Retrieved January 15, 2016.
- Marie, Ana (April 6, 2010). "The Monthly D.C. Power List*: White House Staffer Edition". Gq.com. Retrieved January 15, 2016.
- "West Wingman". The Ohio State University Alumni Association. January 23, 2017. Retrieved March 19, 2017.
- Cunnane, Pat (2018). West Winging It. New York, NY: Simon & Schuster. p. 12. ISBN 9781501178290.
- Itkowitz, Colby (February 15, 2016). "Meet the man who can basically read President Obama's mind". Washington Post. Retrieved August 6, 2016.
- Browning, Bil (February 16, 2016). "President Obama's Gay 'Anticipator in Chief' Has Large Role in Oval Office". Retrieved February 16, 2016.
- Reside, Rebecca Nelson,Alex (January 19, 2017). "The Bros of Michelle Obama's Office". GQ. Retrieved January 21, 2017.
- "In a First, VP Joe Biden Officiates a Gay Wedding". New York Times. Associated Press. August 2, 2016. Retrieved August 6, 2016.
- "Joe Biden Officiated at a Wedding and It Was Perfect". January 12, 2017. Retrieved March 7, 2017.
- "Mosteller Linkedin".