This article may contain excessive or inappropriate references to self-published sources. (June 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Brian J. Orr is an Australian scientist known for his contributions to laser spectroscopy and optical parametric oscillators. He graduated with a BSc (Hons I) from the University of Sydney. Orr received his PhD from the University of Bristol and was a professor at the University of New South Wales prior to his professorship appointment at the Faculty of Science of Macquarie University.
Orr has performed a wide variety of spectroscopic research and is the author, or co-author, of numerous refereed publications. His research career began on diatomic molecular spectroscopy. Back in Australia his research focused mainly on laser infrared–ultraviolet double resonance spectroscopy.
More recently his research has expanded towards the development of tunable coherent sources, in particular optical parametric oscillators for spectroscopy, medicine, and other applications. Orr's overall research activities may be summarized by the Optical Society's citation to the 2004 W. F. Meggers Award: "for advancing molecular spectroscopy by experiment and theory on infrared- and Raman-ultraviolet double resonance, coherent Raman spectroscopy, cavity ringdown spectroscopy, photoelectron spectroscopy, nonlinear optics, and tunable coherent light sources."
- Fellow of the Optical Society
- Fellow of the Australian Institute of Physics
- Fellow of the Royal Australian Chemical Institute
- William F. Meggers Award from the Optical Society
- W. H. Steel Medal from the Australian Optical Society
- A. D. Buckingham, B. J. Orr, J. M. Sichel, Angular distribution and intensity in molecular photoelectron spectroscopy I. General theory for diatomic molecules, Phil. Transac. R. Soc. A. 268, 147-157 (1970).
- C. P. Bewick, A. B. Duval, and B. J. Orr, Rotationally selective mode‐to‐mode vibrational energy transfer in D2CO/D2CO and D2CO/Ar collisions, J. Chem Phys. 82, 3470 (1985).
- C. P. Bewick and B. J. Orr, Rotationally specific mode-to-mode vibrational energy transfer in D2CO/D2CO collisions. I. Spectroscopic aspects, J. Chem Phys. 93, 8634-8642 (1990).
- J. G. Haub, M. J. Johnson, B. J. Orr, and R. Wallenstein, Continuously tunable, injection‐seeded β‐barium borate optical parametric oscillator: Spectroscopic applications, Appl. Phys. Lett. 58, 1718 (1991).
- Y. He and B. J. Orr, Ringdown and cavity-enhanced absorption spectroscopy using a continuous-wave tunable diode laser and a rapidly swept optical cavity, Chem. Phys. Lett. 319, 131–137( 2000).
- Orr BJ, Haub JG, He Y, White RT (2016). "Spectroscopic Applications of Pulsed Tunable Optical Parametric Oscillators". In Duarte FJ (ed.). Tunable Laser Applications (3rd ed.). Boca Raton: CRC Press. pp. 17–142. ISBN 9781482261066.