British Aircraft Manufacturing
The German aircraft manufacturer Klemm developed a successful low powered light aeroplane, the Klemm L.25, which first flew in 1927. Several were sold to British owners, where they proved popular, so the British dealer for the L.25, Major E.F Stephen, set up the British Klemm Aeroplane Company at Hanworth, Middlesex to produce a version of the L.25 under licence.
The prototype of the licensed version, known as the B.K. Swallow, first flew in November 1933. The company's first aircraft design was the B.K. Eagle a single-engine cabin monoplane, although similar to the Klemm L.32 was designed by G.H. Handasyde.
The company changed name in 1935 to the British Aircraft Manufacturing Company and new variants of the Swallow and Eagle were designated as the British Aircraft Swallow and Eagle (or B.A Swallow and B.A. Eagle).
The company then followed with a side-by-side two-seat monoplane, the B.A.3 Cupid, but only one was built. The last aircraft produced was the 1936 B.A.IV Double Eagle a six-seat twin-engined high-wing monoplane, only three were built.
- British Aircraft Swallow
- British Aircraft Eagle
- British Aircraft Cupid
- British Aircraft Double Eagle
- Jackson 1974, page 164
- Jackson 1973, page 295
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to British Aircraft Manufacturing.|