British Rail Class 397
|British Rail Class 397 Civity|
397003 at Wigan North Western on mileage accumulation tests.
|In service||30 November 2019|
|Built at||Beasain, Spain|
|Number built||12 units|
|Formation||5 carriages per unit|
|Capacity||296 seats |
(272 in standard, 24 in first class)
|Train length||118 m (387 ft 2 in)|
|Car length||DMFLW & DMSL: 24.03 m (78 ft 10 in) |
PTS, MSL & PTSL: 23.35 m (76 ft 7 in)
|Doors||Sliding plug, at body ends|
|Maximum speed||125 mph (201 km/h)|
|Acceleration||max. 0.92 m/s/s (3.3 km/(h⋅s); 2.1 mph/s)|
|Electric system(s)||25 kV 50 Hz AC Overhead|
|Current collection method||Pantograph|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) standard gauge|
The Class 397 Civity is a class of electric multiple unit which are being constructed for TransPennine Express by Spanish rolling stock manufacturer CAF. A total of twelve five-car units are to be built, and they entered service in November 2019.
The announcement of new trains was made by FirstGroup when it was confirmed that they would become the next operator of the TransPennine Express franchise from 1 April 2016. In May 2016 it was announced by TransPennine Express that they had ordered twelve five-car electric multiple units from CAF to replace the fleet of ten four-car Class 350/4 Desiro units which presently operate TransPennine Express services between Liverpool, Manchester and Scotland.
TransPennine Express has branded its new fleet under the general name Nova, with the Class 397 units branded as Nova 2.
An option for up to 22 extra units was available to TransPennine Express, but it was not exercised.
Following successful reliability and mileage accumulation testing, the first unit was handed back to TransPennine and entered passenger service on 30 November 2019.
|Class||Operator||No. Built||Year Built||Cars per Set||Unit nos.|
|Class 397||TransPennine Express||12||2017-2019||5||397001–397012|
- British Rail Class 195 - The diesel multiple unit variant of the CAF Civity UK platform being built for Northern.
- British Rail Class 196 - A diesel multiple unit variant of the CAF Civity UK platform being built for West Midlands Trains.
- British Rail Class 331 - An electric multiple unit variant of the CAF Civity UK platform being built for Northern.
- Clinnick, Richard. "FIRST PICTURE: TransPennine Express Class 397 takes shape in Spain". RAIL magazine. RAIL magazine. Retrieved 26 December 2017.
- "CAF Civity EMU for TransPennine Express on test at Velim - International Railway Journal". M.railjournal.com. Retrieved 2 July 2019.
- "REGIONAL TRAIN CIVITY FIRST GROUP TRANSPENNINE".
- "Class 397". Eversholt Rail. Retrieved 15 August 2019.
- Haigh, Philip. "Is it time for the railway to standardise on fewer types of trains, to cut costs?". PressReader.com. Rail Magazine. Retrieved 23 July 2016.
- Clinnick, Richard (6 September 2018). "FIRST PICTURE: TransPennine Express Class 397 takes shape in Spain. They share a similar overall design eith the mark 5 and 5a coaching stock which are also part pf the "civity" family". www.railmagazine.com. Retrieved 8 November 2018.
- "TransPennine Express Class 397 fleet taking shape". Global Rail News. Retrieved 2 July 2019.
- "New TransPennine Express franchise launches". TransPennine Express. TransPennine Express. Retrieved 23 July 2016.
- "More new trains for the North and Scotland". TransPennine Express. TransPennine Express. Retrieved 23 July 2016.
- "CAF Civity EMU for TransPennine Express on test at Velim". International Railway Journal. 4 July 2016. Retrieved 24 July 2018.
- TransPennine Express - Together February 2018
- "TPE Franchise Agreement" (PDF). GOV.UK. GOV.UK. Retrieved 21 July 2018.