Stassi with the Nevada Wolf Pack in 2011
|San Francisco Giants|
|Born: August 7, 1989|
Yuba City, California
|April 3, 2017, for the Philadelphia Phillies|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2017 season)
|Runs batted in||7|
Brock James Stassi (// STASS-ee; born August 7, 1989) is an American professional baseball first baseman in the San Francisco Giants organization. The Philadelphia Phillies selected Stassi in the 33rd round of the 2011 MLB draft out of University of Nevada, Reno and he made his Major League Baseball (MLB) debut for them in 2017.
Stassi was drafted by the Cleveland Indians in 2010, but decided to stay at school.
Stassi was a two-way player in his final three years at University of Nevada, Reno. In 2010, Stassi was named the Western Athletic Conference Pitcher of the Year and also earned second-team All-WAC utility honors. He hit 360 with 19 doubles, driving in 34 runs and scoring 29 times in 55 games for the Nevada Wolf Pack, earning First Team All-WAC honors as a first baseman during his senior season.
The Phillies selected Stassi in the 33rd round of the 2011 MLB Draft out of University of Nevada, Reno. Stassi debuted with the Williamsport Crosscutters in 2011, playing for them in parts of two seasons before joining the Lakewood BlueClaws (2012), Clearwater Threshers (2012–13) and Reading Fightin Phils (2014–15).
His breakout season came with the Class AA Fightin Phils in 2015, when he posted a .300/.394/.470 slash line with 15 home runs and 90 RBI in 133 games, helping lead Reading to first place in the Eastern League Division standings while earning an All-Star berth. Besides, Stassi led the league in RBI and doubles (32), ending second in total bases (225) and walks (77), third in on OBP and runs scored (76), fifth in hits (140), and sixth in home runs. In addition to his offensive contributions, Stassi led Eastern League first baseman with a .995 fielding percentage, making five errors in 112 games. At the end of the season, he was selected as the winner of the 2015 Eastern League Most Valuable Player Award.
Stassi made the Phillies' Opening Day roster in 2017. He made his major league debut on Opening Day. He was designated for assignment on August 31, 2017, to make room for newly-acquired Juan Nicasio on the 40-man roster He elected free agency on November 6, 2017.
New Britain Bees
San Francisco Giants
On August 10, 2018, Stassi's contract was purchased by the San Francisco Giants. Following the 2018 season, he re-signed to a minor league deal on November 9.
Brock and Max Stassi hold an annual charity event that began in 2009 in their hometown of Yuba City, California; the money collected goes to 12 food banks within a 50-mile radius of Yuba City and Hands of Hope, a charity that offers support to homeless children and their families. The event consists of a home run derby between the brothers at the Yuba City High School field. In 2014, the event was expanded to include a home run derby with one player from each of eight local high schools, taking donations based on the number of homers hit, as well as accepting flat-rate donations.
- Billy The Batboy's Corner (July 8, 2018). Brock Stassi Interview (Youtube). Retrieved December 30, 2018.
- NEVADAWOLFPACK.COM Stassi Goes to the Phillies in Round 33 of MLB Draft - Official Athletic Site Official Athletic Site - Baseball
- Brock Stassi biography, news and statistics. MiLB.com. Retrieved on October 30, 2015.
- 2015 Eastern League Batting Leaders. Baseball Reference. Retrieved on October 30, 2015.
- Brock Stassi Minor & Winter Leagues Statistics & History | Baseball-Reference.com
- Rookie Brock Stassi makes the Phillies roster
- Adams, Steve (December 8, 2017). "Minor MLB Transactions: 12/8/17". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved December 8, 2017.
- Todd, Jeff (May 25, 2018). "Twins Release Brock Stassi". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved May 25, 2018.
- Stassi brothers host Homers for the Hungry. MLB.com. Retrieved on October 30, 2015.