Buescher State Park
|Buescher State Park|
Park Lake in Buescher State Park is a favorite with anglers.
|Location||Bastrop County, Texas|
|Nearest city||Smithville, Texas|
|Area||1,016.7 acres (411 ha)|
|Governing body||Texas Parks and Wildlife Department|
Buescher State Park is a state park located just north of Smithville, Texas. The park consists of 1,016.7 acres (411 ha) of public land donated to the state by Mr. Emil and Mrs. Elizabeth Buescher, as well as the City of Smithville.
Between the years 1933 and 1936, Mr. Emil and Mrs. Elizabeth Buescher deeded 318 acres (129 ha) of land to the State of Texas. After Emil Buescher's death, his heirs donated 318 acres (1.29 km2) more. The rest of the parkland was acquired from the city of Smithville.
Companies 1805 and 1811 of the Civilian Conservation Corps built many of the park facilities between 1933 and 1939 using native stone to better blend with the surrounding landscape.
When it opened in 1940, the park was 1,738 acres (703 ha). In 1967, the Texas Legislature transferred 700 acres (280 ha) to The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center for use as a research facility, currently known as the Virginia Harris Cockrell Cancer Research Center at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center (Science Park).
The park features a 7.7-mile (12.4 km) round trip hiking trail through the park's undeveloped area. There is also a small lake open for canoeing and fishing. The lake is stocked with crappie, catfish and bass year around and with rainbow trout in winter. Camping and picnicking areas are available.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Buescher State Park.|