Buffalo Lake National Wildlife Refuge
Blind for wildlife viewing at Buffalo Lake NWR
|Location||Randall County, Texas, United States|
|Area||31 km2 (12 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,140 m (3,740 ft)|
|Established||National Wildlife Refuge|
|Operator||U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service|
|Website||Buffalo Lake National Wildlife Refuge|
Buffalo Lake National Wildlife Refuge is a protected area in Randall County in the Texas Panhandle. Its shortgrass prairies spill into marshes, woodlands, riparian habitat, croplands, and water-carved canyon walls that together form 7,664 acres (31.02 km2) of homes for migratory and year-round wildlife. The area forms a habitat for black-tailed prairie dogs and burrowing owls, among many other species. Some 175 acres (0.71 km2) of the refuge carries the designation of National Natural Landmark.
Buffalo Lake NWR lies within a canyon carved by Tierra Blanca Creek, an ephemeral stream that stretches across northern portions of the Llano Estacado. The discharge of this stream is highly variable, and it is not unusual for the creek to dry out completely. At the same time, as the sole creek bed within a large drainage basin in a region prone to frequent and intense thunderstorms, it often suffers the destructive effects of flash floods. A large flood-control structure, called Umbarger Dam, was constructed to impound the waters of Tierra Blanca Creek and form Buffalo Lake within the boundaries of the wildlife refuge. The ponded waters of this shallow lake can provide key roosting habitat for migrating birds.
- Grulla National Wildlife Refuge
- Muleshoe National Wildlife Refuge
- Rita Blanca National Grassland
- Palo Duro Canyon
- Caprock Canyons State Park and Trailway
- McKittrick Canyon
- "Buffalo Lake National Wildlife Refuge". U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Retrieved 29 November 2009.
- USFWS. "Buffalo Lake National Wildlife Refuge". U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Retrieved 29 November 2009.
- "National Natural Landmarks - National Natural Landmarks (U.S. National Park Service)". www.nps.gov. Retrieved 2019-03-30.
Year designated: 1980
- Media related to Buffalo Lake National Wildlife Refuge at Wikimedia Commons
- Official website
- Public domain photos of West Texas and Llano Estacado
|This article related to a protected area in Texas is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a location in Randall County, Texas is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|