Burnin' It Down
|"Burnin' It Down"|
|Single by Jason Aldean|
|from the album Old Boots, New Dirt|
|Released||July 22, 2014|
|Jason Aldean singles chronology|
"Burnin' It Down" is a song written by Rodney Clawson, Chris Tompkins and Florida Georgia Line members Tyler Hubbard and Brian Kelley and recorded by American country music artist Jason Aldean. It was released in July 2014 as the first single from his Aldean's 2014 album Old Boots, New Dirt. The song won the "Top Country Song" category at the 2015 Billboard Music Awards., but received generally negative reviews from critics.
The song is a midtempo ballad about a sexual encounter with a lover. Aldean told Country Music Television (CMT) that he considered the song "baby making music". He also felt that it was a different song style for him due to it being more sexual in nature and featuring a drum loop.
The single has received mixed to negative reviews from critics. Leeann Ward of Country Universe gave the song a D grade, writing that "There’s a line between a passionate love song and a passionless song. There’s [also] a line between a sexy song and a sex filled song. And there’s [even] a line between a classy, passionate love song and a classless, passionless sex filled song." Ward also said that “Burnin’ it Down” crosses the line to the latter categories on all accounts." Website Saving Country Music gave the song a similar review, rating the song "Two Guns Way Down". It called the song "a roast", heavily criticizing its EDM-oriented production and its lyrics, saying the song "isn't sexy, it's creepy".
Giving it a B grade, Tammy Ragusa of Country Weekly was more favorable, writing that "Jason [Aldean] proves [that] he can also change things up, which he does dramatically through edgy, urban-and-pop-influenced arrangements and production" and that "the song's sexy lyrics push the boundaries of what might be construed as traditional themes in country music."
During its first week in release, the song sold 184,000 downloads in the United States and debuted at number 42 on Billboard's Hot Country Songs chart. In its second week, the song moved from number 42 to 1 on the Hot Country Songs chart. On September 29, 2014, the song was certified Platinum by the RIAA just nine weeks after release, becoming the fastest single of 2014 to do that. It reached its millionth sales mark in October 2014. As of April 2015, the song has sold 1,589,000 copies in the US.
In Canada, the song sold 15,000 downloads in its debut week.
Charts and certifications
- "Billboard Music Awards 2015: See the Full Winners List". billboard.com. May 17, 2015. Retrieved 2015-05-18.
- Bonaguro, Alison (4 October 2014). "Jason Aldean on "Baby-Makin' Music"".
- Ragusa, Tammy (1 September 2014). "Reviews". Country Weekly. 21 (35): 66.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-10-06. Retrieved 2015-04-06.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Matt Bjorke (August 27, 2014). "The Top 30 Digital Singles – August 27, 2014". Roughstock. Archived from the original on September 3, 2014.
- Paul Grein (October 8, 2014). "Chart Watch: All About That Transatlantic #1". Chart Watch. Yahoo! Music.
- Matt Bjorke (April 15, 2015). "Country Music's Top 30 Digital Singles: Week of April 15, 2015". Roughstock. Sales figure given here
- Reuter, Annie (August 29, 2014). "Watch Jason Aldean's Sexy 'Burnin' It Down' Video". radio.com. Archived from the original on June 28, 2015. Retrieved September 2, 2014.
- "Jason Aldean Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Jason Aldean Chart History (Canada Country)". Billboard.
- "Jason Aldean Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Jason Aldean Chart History (Country Airplay)". Billboard.
- "Jason Aldean Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
- "Best of 2014: Canadian Hot 100". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2014. Retrieved December 9, 2014.
- "Best of 2014: Hot 100 Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2014. Retrieved December 9, 2014.
- "Best of 2014: Country Airplay". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2014. Retrieved December 9, 2014.
- "Best of 2014: Hot Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2014. Retrieved December 9, 2014.
- "Best of 2015: Hot Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2015. Retrieved December 9, 2015.
- "American single certifications – Jason Aldean – Burnin%27 it down". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.