Location of Burqin County (red) in Altay Prefecture (yellow) and Xinjiang
|Country||People's Republic of China|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (China Standard)|
Burqin County is a county in Xinjiang, China and is under the administration of the Kazakh autonomous area of Altay Prefecture. It has an area of 10,362 km2 (4,001 sq mi) with a population of 70,000. The postcode is 836600.
Burqin County is located in the northernmost part of Xinjiang. Its county seat, which is called Burqin Town (布尔津镇) is situated at the confluence of the Irtysh and its right tributary, the Burqin River. Most of the county is within the Burqin River basin, which reaches into the Altai Mountains on Xinjiang's border with Mongolia and Russia. The major mountain massif on Burqin county's border with these two countries is Tavan Bogd.
The Burqin Shankou Dam is a hydroelectric dam located on the Burqin River at . It has a 94m high concrete arch dam; the dam's hydroelectric plant generates 220 Megawatt of power. The construction work started in July 2009, with an expected completion date of June 2013; construction was completed in 2014 and the dam started generating power on November 2015.
- Google Maps. As of Oct 2013, the satellite view (probably a year or more old) shows the construction site, with a small temporary dam a bit upstream of the point where the permanent dam is being built.
- 中国水电中标新疆布尔津山口水利枢纽大坝工程 Archived 2013-10-29 at the Wayback Machine (China Hydro bids on the construction project of the Burqin Shankou Dam Complex in Xinjiang), 2009-07-31
- 攻克山口——写在水电十六局新疆布尔津山口水利枢纽混凝土双曲拱坝工程下闸蓄水之际 (in Chinese). Power Construction Corporation of China. 19 September 2014. Archived from the original on 25 November 2014. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- "Long Xiao Ming attended the launching ceremony of the first unit of Burqin Yamaguchi Station" (in Chinese). New Gezhouba and Industry Bureau. 5 November 2015. Archived from the original on 2 March 2016. Retrieved 19 February 2016.
- Burqin River Chonghuer Hydropower Project in Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region