A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (November 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (December 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Holding, limited company|
|Products||Broadcasting, newspapers, magazines|
CN Group Limited was formerly an independent local media business based in Carlisle, Cumbria, England, operating in print and radio. It is now owned by Newsquest and their newspapers are printed in Glasgow.
The company was formerly known as the Cumbrian Newspapers Group Ltd but changed its name to reflect the fact that is no longer primarily a newspaper publisher. One of its principal subsidiaries, however, is still known as Cumbrian Newspapers Ltd.
The company can trace its origins to the founding of the Carlisle Patriot newspaper in 1815, which eventually became the Cumberland News. Historical copies of the Carlisle Patriot, dating back to 1817, are available to search and view in digitised form at The British Newspaper Archive.
The company formerly owned the Touch Radio Network stations in the Midlands outright until selling them to Quidem in June 2009. The two exceptions to this were the Loughborough licence, Oak FM, which was sold to the Lincs FM Group, and the Banbury Touch FM licence, which was sold to a private consortium and relaunched as Banbury Sound. It quickly became apparent that operating these licences outside of the regional network was not a commercially sensible move. As a result, Quidem acquired Banbury Sound in 2010 and Oak FM in 2012, effectively reforming the original CN Midlands network.
CN Group publishes daily and weekly newspapers and magazines for Cumbria, Northumberland, Dumfries and Galloway and the Scottish Borders. Since the takeover of the CN Group by Newsquest, it is now printed in Glasgow.
List of CN Group titles
- 24 - The North’s National - a weekday evening paper, launched 20 June 2016, closed 29 July 2016
- News and Star - daily evening paper circulated with separate East (except Friday and Sunday) and West (except Sunday) editions
- North-West Evening Mail - daily evening paper circulated in Furness and other parts of south Cumbria
- The Cumberland News - weekly (Fridays) covering East Cumbria; separate Main and Late Final editions
- Cumbrian Gazette - weekly freesheet; separate editions for East and West Cumbria
- Whitehaven News - weekly (Thursdays)
- Times & Star - weekly (Fridays); separate Workington, Maryport and Cockermouth editions
- Hexham Courant - weekly
- Eskdale and Liddesdale Advertiser - weekly (Thursdays)
- Advertiser - commercially selective postcode distributed weekly freesheet covering South Cumbria
- Cumbria Life - monthly
- Carlisle Living - monthly
- Dumfries & Galloway Life' - monthly (covering Dumfries & Galloway and Scottish Borders); formerly DGB Life
- In Cumbria - quarterly
- Lakesman' - yearly
- The Bay' - bimestrial lifestyle magazine dedicated to the unique communities of Morecambe Bay, UK; launched in June 2017
CN Group prints items such as newspapers (local and national), magazines and leaflets.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 23 August 2015. Retrieved 2 August 2015.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- Digitised copies of the Carlisle Patriot
- "CN Group announce sale of it's radio stations". CN Group. Archived from the original on 1 December 2017. Retrieved 20 November 2017.
- Belfast radio station CityBeat bought by Q Radio Network - BBC News, BBC News, 29 January 2015
- Citybeat Belfast becomes Q – Belfast’s City Beat | Radio Today, RadioToday, 10 August 2015