Calhoun Community College
|President||Dr. James Klauber|
In addition to its main 110-acre (45 ha) campus in Decatur, the college has sites at Huntsville/Cummings Research Park and at the Limestone County Correctional Facility. The campus sits adjacent to Pryor Field Regional Airport along Highway 31.
Organization and administration
The current college president is Dr. James Klauber, who replaced former president Dr. Marilyn C. Beck in February 2015.
Calhoun serves just over 10,300 students. It offers 49 associate degree programs and 52 career/certificate programs. Of Calhoun's 302 full-time employees, 133 serve on the college faculty. Over 80 percent of the full-time faculty possess at least a master's degree, and approximately 15 percent hold a doctorate.
The Decatur campus serves as home for the Warhawks athletic teams. Both baseball fields, and the Carlton Kelly Gymnasium, are housed on the campus. Calhoun participates in baseball and softball in the Alabama Community College Conference.
Due to the small size of both Decatur and Austin High School's gymnasiums, the rivalry basketball game is held, each year, at the 3,000-seat Carlton Kelly Gymnasium, to accommodate the large crowds. However, this gym is still not the correct size for the event as crowds up to 4,000 in size attempt to attend the event and upwards of 1,000 can be turned away at each rivalry game.
- Bo Bice, American Idol runner-up, graduated May 1997
- John D. Douglas, Basketball Player (Los Angeles Clippers), Coach, graduated 1976
- Micky Hammon, Republican member and Major Leader of the Alabama House of Representatives since 2002.
- Jorge Posada, Catcher, New York Yankees, graduated 1991
- Gary Redus, Major League Baseball player, graduated 1977