|Founded||Wilmington, Delaware, US (1976)|
|Founder||Lois and Alan Margolet|
Number of locations
|Ashley Morris (CEO)|
Jason Smylie (CIO)
George Chanos (Chairman)
Other food products
Capriotti's is a Delaware-based fast casual restaurant chain located in the United States. The restaurant chain was founded in Wilmington, Delaware in 1976. Capriotti's has 106 company-owned and franchise locations in 16 states, including the District of Columbia.
Capriotti's was founded in Wilmington, Delaware in 1976. The restaurant is named after the founders' grandfather, Philip Capriotti. In 1988, the second restaurant location opened in New Castle, Delaware. In 1991, Capriotti's began franchising their restaurants.
In 1993, the first restaurant location in Las Vegas, Nevada was opened on Sahara Avenue, near Las Vegas Boulevard. In 2004, Ashley Morris and Jason Smylie opened a franchise in Las Vegas. At the time, Morris was the youngest financial adviser at Wells Fargo. Smylie was a software engineer at Bechtel Nevada. Morris and Smylie were also investors in the housing market and made the decision to invest in a franchise after learning that the return on investment was higher than anything they were looking at investing in. In 2007, Morris and Smylie put the company in escrow. In the following year Morris, Smylie and a group of investors consisting of 95% Las Vegans bought Capriotti's. Capriotti's had 44 restaurant locations by the end of 2008. Morris is the CEO of the company. In 2008 and 2009 the chain was the official sandwich sponsor of the World Series of Poker in Las Vegas. Capriotti's was ranked in Entrepreneur magazine's top 500 franchise list in 2010 and remained ranked through 2014.
Capriotti's starred on Food Network's Unwrapped in December 2011. In November 2013, Capriotti's expanded its presence on the East Coast by opening its first location in Washington DC. Joe Biden was the first customer served at the store's grand opening. That year, Capriotti's brought in over $58 million in revenue and experienced a 48% growth over the previous three years. In 2014, the company was named one of the "Top 10 Best Food Franchises for Your Buck" and one of "America's Best Franchises" by Forbes magazine.
The Sandelman & Associates Quick Track Study on the Top 10 Quick Service Restaurant Concepts ranked Capriotti's among the top ten in overall satisfaction and won the award for highest quality and taste in the 2014 study.
Capriotti's is based in Las Vegas, Nevada and has its largest concentration of shops there. The restaurant chain has 107 locations in 19 states including: Arizona, California, Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nebraska, Nevada, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington State, Wisconsin and Washington, D.C.. In 2014, it ranked #293 in Entrepreneur's Franchise 500. In 2016, Capriotti's was ranked #264 in Entrepreneur's Franchise 500.
Capriotti's specializes in cold, grilled, and vegetarian submarine sandwiches. Each restaurant roasts whole turkeys for 12 hours nightly, hand pulls meats, and makes their own meatballs and coleslaw.
In November 2009, the Bobbie, one of Capriotti's signature sandwiches, was voted "The Greatest Sandwich in America" by AOL.com. The sandwich is made with pulled turkey, cranberry sauce, stuffing and mayonnaise. The Margolets named it after their aunt. In 2012, USA Today named Capriotti's one of the "10 Great Places for a Surprising Sandwich."
Capriotti has utilized Google Glass to re-film employee training videos in a first person view. Management trainees also wear Google Glass during rush hour periods and review the footage for constructive visual feedback. Capriotti's uses an app-based loyalty program.
- John Grossmann (January 28, 2015). "Using Smartphones and Apps to Enhance Loyalty Programs". The New York Times. Retrieved February 1, 2015.
- "Franchise Chatter Exclusive: Q&A Interview with Ashley Morris, CEO of Capriotti's". Retrieved April 19, 2015.
- "Capriotti's Sandwich Shop Inc". Retrieved 2014-07-18.
- Samara Kalk Derby (2010-05-20). "Capriotti's Sandwiches Stand Out Amid Competitors". The Capital Times & Wisconsin State Journal.
- Ethan Rothstein (2013-10-18). "Capriotti's Sandwich Shop Coming to Rosslyn". Retrieved 2014-07-18.
- "Capriotti's Sandwich Shop Celebrates 100th Restaurant12-23-2013". Retrieved 2014-07-18.
- Lauren Jow (2014-01-22). "Las Vegas-based sandwich shop opens at The Market Place". The Orange County Register.
- Jill Henebry (January 1995). "Talking turkey -- Capriotti's branches out". Delaware Business Review.
- Lindsay Friedman (June 22, 2016). "Franchise of the Day: To Stand Out From Its Competitors, This Sandwich Shop Has an Extra Tasty Nightly Ritual". Entrepreneur. Retrieved August 1, 2016.
- Tovin Lapan (2012-04-10). "Capriotti's Bobbie collects yet another accolade; "Encyclopedia of Sandwiches" author tells USA Today that shop's turkey sub is among her favorites". Las Vegas Sun.
- Tim O'Reiley (2011-03-21). "Heroes welcome? Well, not as envisioned". Las Vegas Business Press.
- Tracy Stapp Herold (2013-10-18). "No Ordinary Hero". Retrieved 2014-07-18.
- Tracy Stapp Herold (2010-03-25). "No Ordinary Hero". Retrieved 2014-07-18.
- Steven R. Thompson (2012-10-07). "Capriotti's plans growth". Dallas Business Journal.
- Hannah Fry (2011-06-14). "Capriotti's Sandwich shops to invade Orange County". The Orange County Register.
- Ryan Saxton. "Popular First State sandwich shop moving into Bethany". Retrieved 2014-07-18.
- "Capriotti's named World Series of Poker sandwich sponsor". 2008-06-18. Retrieved 2014-07-18.
- "Capriotti's Unwrapped on Food Network". 2011-12-06. Retrieved 2014-07-18.
- "MARKETPLACE: Capriotti's Sandwich Shop". 2012-01-29. Retrieved 2014-07-18.
- Josh Lederman (2013-11-21). "Joe Biden Welcomes Delaware-Born Sandwich Shop To D.C., Comes Up Short When Trying To Pay The Bill". Retrieved 2014-07-18.
- "Vice President Joe Biden Visits Capriotti's". January 2014. Retrieved 2014-07-18.
- "Capriotti's Opens With Free Sandwiches, A Visit From Joe Biden". 2013-11-21. Archived from the original on 2013-11-24. Retrieved 2014-07-18.
- "Biden Borrows Money to Pay For Lunch at New D.C. Sandwich Shop". 2013-11-21. Retrieved 2014-07-18.
- "Here's Why One CEO Always Wants To Be 'The Dumbest Guy In The Room'". September 17, 2014. Retrieved April 16, 2015.
- Emily Inverso (2014-05-27). "The 10 Best Food Franchises For Your Buck". Retrieved 2014-07-18.
- "The Best and Worst Franchises In America". Retrieved 2014-07-18.
- "Panera, Chick-fil-A, Papa Murphy's receive Award of Excellence". Pizza Marketplace. February 11, 2015. Retrieved August 26, 2015.
- Renita D. Young (February 13, 2015). "Raising Cane's, CC's among top 10 Excellent Fast-Food Chains nationally". The Times Picayune. Retrieved August 26, 2015.
- Wil Fulton (June 17, 2016). "The Next Jimmy John's: Sandwich Chains That Could Take Over America". Thrillist. Retrieved August 1, 2016.
- "Top Food Franchises of 2016". Entrepreneur. June 18, 2016. Retrieved August 1, 2016.
- "Capriotti's Sandwich Shop". Archived from the original on 2014-07-26. Retrieved 2014-07-18.
- Cristina Perachio (2013-11-16). "You're Quite the Dish: The Bobbie at Capriotti's". Archived from the original on 2014-07-25. Retrieved 2014-07-18.
- "Capriotti's Sandwich Shop Targets Houston For Major Expansion". Archived from the original on 2014-07-25. Retrieved 2014-07-18.
- Nina Meijers (2013-08-01). "Google Glass for Restaurant Employee Training". Retrieved 2014-07-18.
- "This Sandwich Shop's Special Ingredient? Google Glass". September 11, 2013. Retrieved April 16, 2015.
- "Using Smartphones and Apps to Enhance Loyalty Programs". January 28, 2015. Retrieved April 16, 2015.