Captain Marvel (album)
|Studio album by|
|Recorded||March 3, 1972|
|Studio||A&R Studios, New York City|
|Stan Getz chronology|
|The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide|||
Captain Marvel is a jazz album by saxophonist Stan Getz released in 1974 on the Columbia Records label. The album features performances by Getz with Chick Corea, who composed most of the material, Stanley Clarke, Airto Moreira and Tony Williams. Shortly before recording this album Corea, Clarke and Moreira had formed the core of the group Return to Forever, and Captain Marvel shares the Latin jazz and jazz fusion sound that Corea was exploring in this era.
The Allmusic review by Thom Jurek states "This band, combining as it did the restlessness of electric jazz with Getz's trademark stubbornness in adhering to those principles that made modern jazz so great, made for a tension that came pouring out of the speakers with great mutual respect shining forth from every cut — especially the steamy Latin-drenched title track. Along with Sweet Rain, recorded for Verve, Captain Marvel is the finest recording Getz made in the late 1960s - early 1970s".
All compositions by Chick Corea except as noted.
- "La Fiesta" – 8:21
- "Five Hundred Miles High" – 8:09
- "Captain Marvel" - 5:06
- "Times Lie" – 9:46
- "Lush Life" (Billy Strayhorn) – 2:26
- "Day Waves" – 9:39
- Stan Getz – tenor saxophone
- Chick Corea – electric piano
- Stanley Clarke – bass
- Airto Moreira – percussion
- Tony Williams – drums
- Recording Engineer: Dixon Van Winkle
- Remix Engineers: John Guerriere & Russ Payne
- Cover Design: Teresa Alfieri
- Cover Logo Design: Gerard Huerta
- Air Brushing: Roger Huyssen
- Back Cover Photo: Don Hunstein
|1975||Billboard Jazz Albums||22|
- Jurek, Thom. "allmusic ((( Captain Marvel > Overview )))". www.allmusic.com. Retrieved 2009-07-11.
- Bowden, Marshall (30 September 2003). "Stan Getz: Captain Marvel [remastered] | PopMatters". popmatters.com. Retrieved 16 February 2014.
- Swenson, J., ed. (1985). The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide. USA: Random House/Rolling Stone. p. 82. ISBN 0-394-72643-X.
- "Captain Marvel - Stan Getz | Awards | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 27 October 2013.
- "Stan Getz - Captain Marvel (LP) at Discogs". www.discogs.com. Retrieved 2009-07-11.
- Harris, George. "Stan Getz: Captain Marvel & Bossas and Ballads". www.allaboutjazz.com. Retrieved 2009-07-11.