Carlton Tavern, Kilburn
The Carlton Tavern is a former pub in Kilburn, London, that was demolished under controversial circumstances, and which the developer has since been ordered to rebuild. The pub was the only building in the street to survive the Blitz during World War II.
The Carlton Tavern stood just to the south of St. Augustine's church on Carlton Vale. It was built in 1920–21 for Charrington Brewery to a design by the architect Frank J. Potter. It replaced an earlier pub on the same site that was destroyed by a German bomb from the major Gotha Raids air raid of 19/20 May 1918. The building was noted for its unaltered 1920s interiors and faience tiled exterior. It was the only building in the street to survive the Blitz during World War II. It was owned by Punch Taverns until at least June 2008, when they were unsuccessful in their application to have opening hours extended "until the early hours of the morning".
A spokesman for Historic England said "The site was remarkably well-preserved externally and internally. It displayed the hierarchy of rooms in their fixtures, fittings and decorative treatment and retained all its external signage. Few pubs were built at this date and fewer survive unaltered".
The building was being considered by Historic England for Grade II listing when it was unexpectedly demolished on 8 April 2015 by the owner, Tel Aviv-based Israeli property developer CLTX Limited, to make way for a block of flats above a new pub. The landlady was told by the owners on Easter Monday to close the pub for an "inventory", but when she returned two days later, found the building had been demolished. According to Haaretz, CLTX is "a relatively unknown company with only one listed director – Tel Aviv lawyer Ori Calif".
On 5 May 2015, Westminster City Council issued an "unprecedented" enforcement notice ordering CLTX to "recreate in facsimile the building as it stood immediately prior to its demolition". The notice will prevent CLTX from selling the site until the pub has been rebuilt. The London Evening Standard reported that they would have to rebuild it "brick by brick".
CLTX was ordered to rebuild the pub within 18 months from the date it was demolished, 8 April. Councillor Jan Prendergast called it "the lawless destruction of Westminster’s heritage". Councillor Robert Davis, deputy leader, said "Westminster is home to the West End – not the Wild West".
CLTX appealed over both the refusal of planning permission for its proposed replacement flats (with ground floor bar) and the order to rebuild the pub "brick by brick". A public inquiry sat to consider both appeals in May 2016. It rejected both appeals, but extended the time allowed for rebuilding to 24 months.
In October 2016 it was reported that CLTX had met with Westminster City Council to discuss rebuilding the pub. In March 2017, surveys of the site were being carried out, and notices on the pub announced that the rebuilding process had commenced.
In October 2017 CLTX submitted a further planning application to include three flats within the pub when rebuilt. This was declined as it was considered to go against the decision of the planning inquiry. It was also noted that CLTX had restructured and no longer had any UK based directors.
- Shock as historic pub in Kilburn is demolished with no warning and without permission. Nathalie Raffray, Brent & Kilburn Times, 8 April 2015. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- First World War Timeline, 1914-1918, Brent Museum and Archive, London, 2006. p. 7.
- "Israeli developer in trouble for demolishing historic pub in London". Haaretz. Retrieved 9 May 2015.
- "Carlton Tavern: licensing application withdrawn". Maida Vale Conservatives. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- Developer demolishes historic London pub. Colin Marrs, Architects' Journal, 10 April 2015. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- Bulldozers level historic pub after being denied planning permission. The Telegraph, 9 April 2015. Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- "Pub must be rebuilt brick by brick, orders council, after developers tore it down to build flats". London Evening Standard. 29 April 2015. Retrieved 9 May 2015.
- Saul, Heather (6 May 2015). "Carlton Tavern developers ordered to rebuild historic London pub brick-by-brick". The Independent. Retrieved 9 May 2015.
- "Carlton Tavern must be rebuilt says Planning Inspectorate | Westminster City Council". www.westminster.gov.uk. Retrieved 8 October 2016.
- "Demolished Maida Vale Carlton Tavern must be rebuilt 'brick by brick', inquiry rules". BBC News. 9 July 2016. Retrieved 8 October 2016.
- "Kilburn Times: Victory for campaigners as talks in progress".
- Nathalie Raffray. "Delight as work begins to rebuild a Kilburn pub 'brick by brick' - Latest Kilburn and Brent News". Brent & Kilburn Times. Retrieved 2 August 2017.
- WestEndExtra 18 December 2017
- ITV News Report and video of the demolition.
- "Can demolished pubs come back from the dead? - BBC News". bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 10 September 2016.