Castlethorpe railway station
Remains of the station (1991)
|Area||Borough of Milton Keynes (ceremonial county of Buckinghamshire)|
|Original company||London and North Western Railway|
|Pre-grouping||London and North Western Railway|
|Post-grouping||London Midland and Scottish Railway |
London Midland Region of British Railways
|2 August 1882||Opened|
|6 July 1964||Goods facilities withdrawn|
|6 September 1964||Closed|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain|
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
Castlethorpe was a railway station serving the Buckinghamshire village of the same name on the West Coast Main Line in England. The station was located south of the bridge over the current line on what remains Station Road.
Castlethorpe station was opened for goods in 1881 and the first passenger train arrived at 8.30am on Monday, 2 August 1882.
Despite a strong campaign to keep the station open, mounted by the parish council, Sir Frank Markham, Member of Parliament for Buckingham and Robert Maxwell the prospective Labour Party candidate, the station was closed to passengers on 6 September 1964.
|Preceding station||Historical railways||Following station|
Line open, station closed
|London and North Western Railway
West Coast Main Line
Line and station open
The West Coast Main Line runs through the site of the station where sections of the platforms were still in situ in 2018. The buildings were demolished soon after closure.
Stations in and around Milton Keynes
- Butt, R.V.J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations, Patrick Stephens Ltd, Sparkford, ISBN 1-85260-508-1,
- "Castlethorpe Station Closure - September 6th 1964". Milton Keynes Heritage Association.