Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception (Crookston, Minnesota)
|Cathedral of the|
|Location||702 Summit Avenue|
|Diocese||Diocese of Crookston|
|Province||Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis|
|Bishop(s)||Most Rev. Michael J. Hoeppner|
|Rector||Very Rev. Vincent Miller|
Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception (Former cathedral)
The former Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception
|Location||N. Ash St. at 2nd Ave.|
|Architectural style||Late Gothic Revival|
|NRHP reference #||98001219|
|Added to NRHP||October 1, 1998|
The Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception is a Catholic cathedral in Crookston, Minnesota, United States. It is the seat of the Diocese of Crookston. The present Cathedral was dedicated September 25, 1990 and is designed in the modern style. Prominent within the cathedral is the magnificent organ which is Opus 2132 of the Reuter Organ Company of Lawrence, Kansas. It is a two-manual, 31-rank instrument that contains approximately 1789 pipes. The cathedral's west bell tower features a shrine to the Holy Family. The Blessed Sacrament Chapel located in the southwest corner of the church, houses the cathedral's Tabernacle, as well as the cathedral's reliquary, and shrine to Our Lady of Guadeloupe.
It replaced the previous cathedral of the same name which had been built in 1912 at the intersection of North Ash Street and Second Avenue.
The earlier Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception is unusual for having three spires on its Neo-Gothic facade, whereas most Neo-Gothic churches have two. Architect Bert Keck designed this church, along with the former Cathedral of the Sacred Heart in Duluth, Minnesota. None of these buildings serve as churches any longer. Keck's design included two balconies, on the north and the south side of the church, for antiphonal choir responses. It also has a large choir balcony in the rear of the church for the choir and organ. Bishop Timothy J. Corbett, the first bishop of the newly formed Diocese of Crookston, organized the construction of the cathedral. The structure was added to the National Register of Historic Places on October 1, 1989.
After the Diocese dedicated the new cathedral, it transferred ownership of the former structure to a homeless shelter which used the rectory for additional space. The shelter removed the stained glass windows from the sanctuary and gave some to parish members, with the rest sold to provide funding for its programs. In 2001, a windstorm caused severe damage to the remaining stained glass, causing air and rain to leak into the building. The flat roofs of the sacristies were failing at the time of transfer and subsequently caused a lot of damage. The North Sacristy has been completely gutted, and the rest of the clean-up is scheduled for 2018 when doors can be opened again. The Prairie Skyline Foundation has drafted plans to restore the cathedral and turn it into a Community Center with arts activities and performing art space.
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "Tour the 1990 Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception" (PDF). Retrieved 2013-10-28.
- "Reuter Organ Opus List, by State" (PDF). Reuter Organ. p. 19. Retrieved 2014-02-04.
- "The Gothic Cathedral". Prairie Skyline Foundation. Retrieved 2013-10-28.
- Wiering, Maria (8 February 2010). "Your Great Catholic Minnesota Road Trip". The Catholic Spirit. Retrieved 2013-10-28.