An aerial view of the bay and the harbour of Cavalaire-sur-Mer
|• Mayor (2001–2008)||Annick Napoleon|
|16.74 km2 (6.46 sq mi)|
|• Density||440/km2 (1,100/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||0–528 m (0–1,732 ft) |
(avg. 150 m or 490 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
Cavalaire-sur-Mer is probably derived from an ancient Phoenician colony of the name of Heracles Caccabaria. There are also remains of a Gallo-Roman occupation in Pardigon.
The town was detached from Gassin in 1929.
The village is located on the route of the old railway Saint Raphael–Toulon (sometimes called Train Pignes), now defunct. However, the location of the old railway line can be noted and its path followed (and in much of the coast from Le Lavandou to St. Raphael, Cavalaire is even a "Road Train Pignes").
During World War II, on August 16, 1944, it was one of the sites of a beach landing in Operation Dragoon, the Allied invasion of southern France. Every year, August 15 sees a parade of military vehicles and the reconstruction of a military camp.
Its sister city is New_Port_Richey,_Florida.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cavalaire-sur-Mer.|
|This Var geographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|