Chad Smith (baseball)
|Born: October 2, 1989|
Thousand Oaks, California
|June 22, 2014, for the Detroit Tigers|
|Last MLB appearance|
|May 6, 2015, for the Oakland Athletics|
|Earned run average||8.31|
Smith attended Thousand Oaks High School, in Thousand Oaks, California, where he had an 8–1 win–loss record with a 2.00 earned run average (ERA), striking out 65 batters in 60 innings pitched, earning Los Angeles Daily News, Ventura County Star, and All-Marmonte League first team honors his senior year. Smith was a member of the Marmonte League champions in his junior and senior seasons.
Smith was undrafted out of high school and went on to attend the University of Southern California (USC). Playing college baseball for the USC Trojans baseball team, he made his collegiate debut on February 25, 2009, against the Pepperdine Waves. In his freshman season, he made four starts, and went 3–4 in 18 appearances with one save and a 3.40 ERA, striking out 38 in 45 innings. In his sophomore season, he made six starts, and went 5–6 in 23 appearances, with two saves and a 4.47 ERA, striking out 58 in 56.1 innings. Despite the high ERA, opponents only hit .237 off him in 2010. His junior season got off to a good start, where he was 1–2 with four saves and a 2.66 ERA in 19 appearances, but on April 17, he tore his ulnar collateral ligament in his elbow, and was out for the remainder of the season after having Tommy John surgery.
Smith pitched for the Peninsula Oilers of the Alaska Baseball League in 2009 and 2010. In 2009, he made six starts, and went 2–3 in 11 appearances, with a 1.95 ERA and one save, striking out 31 in 37 innings. In 2010, he went 1–1 in 11 appearances, with a 0.46 ERA and three saves, striking out 22 in 19.2 innings.
Smith made his professional debut with the GCL Tigers in June 2012. He made four appearances before being promoted to Short-Season Connecticut. He made two appearances in Connecticut before being promoted to Single-A West Michigan, where he made eight appearances to finish the year. In 14 games in 2012, Smith was 1–2 with a 2.76 ERA, striking out 48 in 45.2 innings. Smith pitched all of 2013 in West Michigan's bullpen, where he was 5–4 in 43 appearances, with a 2.12 ERA, striking out 73 in 72 innings.
Smith made his 2014 debut with Double-A Erie, where he made seven appearances before being promoted to Triple-A Toledo on April 28. Between Double-A Erie and Triple-A Toledo, Smith posted a 5–2 record, 1.80 ERA and .220 batting average allowed.
On June 18, 2014, Smith was called up by the Detroit Tigers. Evan Reed was designated for assignment to make room on the roster. Smith made his major league debut on June 22, in a game against the Cleveland Indians. On February 24, 2015, Smith was designated for assignment by the Tigers.
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim / Texas Rangers
Smith was traded to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim on May 8, 2015. Smith was released by the Angels on June 6, 2015. He signed a minor league contract with the Texas Rangers on August 19, 2015.
Smith signed a minor league deal with the Texas Rangers in December 2015. He was released on June 6, 2016.
- Chad Smith Bio June 18, 2014
- Beck, Jason (April 28, 2014). "Chad Smith promoted to Toledo, Tigers bullpen likely set for now". MLBlogs Network.
- Beck, Jason (June 18, 2014). "Smith has quick path from rookie ball to Detroit". MLB.com. Retrieved June 18, 2014.
- Beard, Rod (June 18, 2014). "Tigers call up pitcher Chad Smith, designate Evan Reed for assignment". The Detroit News. Archived from the original on 2014-08-08. Retrieved June 18, 2014.
- Sipple, George (June 23, 2014). "Tigers' Patrick McCoy and Chad Smith make major league debuts". The Detroit News. Retrieved June 23, 2014.
- Hurcomb, Michael (February 24, 2015). "Tigers take reliever Chad Smith off 40-man roster". CBS Sports. Retrieved February 24, 2015.
- Lee, Jane (February 26, 2015). "A's claim RHP Smith, place RHP Thompson on 60-day DL". MLB.com. Retrieved February 26, 2015.
- Fletcher, Jeff (May 8, 2015). "Angels acquire RHP Chad Smith". Orange County Register. Retrieved May 30, 2015.
- "Former big-league pitcher Chad Smith to join Riders". MILB.com. August 28, 2015. Retrieved September 20, 2015.