Chaplain of the United States Marine Corps
|Chaplain of the|
United States Marine Corps
The Chaplain of the United States Marine Corps (CHMC) is a position always filled by the officer serving as Deputy Chief of Chaplains of the United States Navy as a "dual hatted" billet since 2000. The CHMC oversees religious ministry in the Marine Corps which one Commandant of the Marine Corps defined as "a vital function which enhances the personal, family, and community readiness of our Marines, sailors, and their families. Chaplaincy supports the foundational principle of free exercise of religion and helps to enrich the spiritual, moral and ethical fabric of the military."
Assignment and responsibilities
The Chief of Chaplains of the United States Navy advises the Commandant of the Marine Corps, the Chief of Naval Operations, and the Commandant of the Coast Guard "on all matters pertaining to religion within the Navy, United States Marine Corps, and United States Coast Guard"—but the Deputy Chief of Chaplains serves as Chaplain of the Marine Corps, "advising the CMC on religious ministry matters in reference to support, personnel, plans, programs, policies, and facilities within the USMC." Additionally, in the concurrent role of Navy Deputy Chief of Chaplains, the person holding this position is "Deputy Director of Religious Ministries," serving as the "principal assistant to the Chief of Chaplains."
Prior to 2000, when Rear Admiral Louis Iasiello became the first chaplain of flag rank to serve as Chaplain of the Marine Corps, that position was held by a senior Navy chaplain holding the rank of Navy Captain.
Marine Corps chaplain support
According to Chapter Six of the U.S. military uniform regulations, personnel assigned to the Marine Corps (including chaplains) have the option of wearing Marine Corps uniforms (and chaplains assigned to the Coast Guard may wear Coast Guard uniforms).
Chaplains of the U.S. Marine Corps (not all of them-only from 1969 onward)
|Name||Photo||Term began||Term ended|
|4.||CAPT John H. Craven||1969||1974|
|6.||CAPT Leo J McDonald||1975||1979|
|7.||CAPT George W. Evans, Jr.||1979||1982|
|8.||CAPT Eli Takesian||1982||1986|
|9.||CAPT Walter A. Hiskett||1985||1989|
|10.||CAPT Donald L. Krabbe||1989||1991|
|11.||CAPT Larry H. Ellis||1991||April 1995|
|12.||CAPT George W. Pucciarelli||April 1995||March 31, 1998|
|13.||CAPT Joseph R. Lamonde||April 1, 1998||August 2000|
|14.||RDML Louis V. Iasiello||August 2000||July, 2003|
|15.||RDML Robert F. Burt||July, 2003||June 22, 2006|
|16.||RDML Alan T. Baker||June 23, 2006||2009|
|17.||RDML Mark L. Tidd||August, 2009||May 13, 2010|
|18.||RDML Margaret G. Kibben||May 14, 2010||July 24, 2014|
|19.||RDML Brent W. Scott||July 25, 2014||June 20, 2018|
|20.||RDML Gregory N. Todd||June 21, 2018||Incumbent|
- See: Marine Prayer
- Chief of Chaplains of the United States Navy
- Chaplain of the Coast Guard
- Chiefs of Chaplains of the United States
- International Military Chiefs of Chaplains Conference
- Military chaplain
- United States Army Chaplain Corps
- United States Air Force Chaplain Corps
- Chaplain's Medal for Heroism
- www.marines.mil, retrieved May 12, 2011.
- "Chaplain Todd's Promotion Ceremony". Defense Visual Information Distribution Service. Defense Media Activity. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- "Chaplain of the Marine Corps Stresses Importance of Family".
- doni.daps.dla.mil Archived 2011-08-14 at the Wayback Machine, retrieved May 12, 2011.
- OPNAVINST 1730.1D Archived March 10, 2012, at the Wayback Machine, retrieved May 13, 2011.
- www.navy.mil, retrieved May 12, 2011.
- OPNAVINST 1730.1D Archived March 10, 2012, at the Wayback Machine, retrieved May 12, 2011.
- www.uscg.mil[permanent dead link], retrieved May 12, 2011.
- www.usnst.org Archived 2010-12-24 at the Wayback Machine, retrieved May 12, 2011.
- "Serving Sea Services: Eighth chaplain of the Marine Corps laid to rest in Arlington National Cemetery". DVIDS.
- Witten, Christianne. "Commandant promotes new chaplain of the Marine Corps". Marine Barracks 8th and I, Washington, DC. United States Marine Corps. Archived from the original on 12 August 2014. Retrieved 11 August 2014.