Cheez Doodles are a cheese-flavored cheese puff produced by Wise Foods. Originally developed and manufactured by King Kone Corp. of the Bronx, New York, it became the prevalent cheese puff snack on the East Coast.
The snack debuted several years after Frito-Lay's snack in the 1950s. Originally developed and manufactured by King Kone Corp. of the Bronx (owned and operated by Morrie Yohai), it became the prevalent cheese puff snack on the East Coast. In the mid-1960s, the company (now known as Old London Foods) was acquired by Borden and assigned to the Wise potato chip division. In 1994, KKR & Co. acquired Borden; in 2000, Palladium Equity Partners purchased Wise Foods. Today, Wise Foods is owned by Arca Continental, S.A.B. de C.V., the second largest Coca-Cola bottler in Central and South America. Cheez Doodles remain one of the strongest brands marketed by Wise.
Like Cheetos, Cheez Doodles are produced in many varieties. Currently available and past varieties include:
- Cheez Doodles Puffed – the baked snack version
- Cheez Doodles Puffed White Cheddar – white cheddar puffed rather than yellow cheddar
- Cheez Doodles Puffed Balls – round puffed baked snacks
- Cheez Doodles Hot 'n Honey Cheese Flavored – puffed with honey and cheddar flavoring
- Cheez Doodles Honey BBQ & Cheese Flavored – puffed with barbecue sauce flavoring in addition to the cheddar (discontinued)
- Cheez Doodles Jalapeño Cheddar Poppers – puffed yellow cheddar with jalapeño flavoring (but no green coloring)
- Cheez Doodles Mac -n- Cheese – elbow pasta-shaped puffed snacks (discontinued)
- Star Spangled Doodles – puffed white cheddar with specks of red and blue (discontinued)
- Croc-o-Doodles – crocodile-shaped puffed snacks
- Cheez Doodles Crunchy – the hard, crunchy fried version
- Cheez Doodles White Cheddar Crunchy – white cheddar hard, crunchy rather than yellow cheddar (discontinued)
- Cheez Doodles Crunchy, Reduced Fat – lower fat version of the hard, crunchy
- Cheez Doodles Crunchy Hot & Tangy – mildly hot and tangy hard, crunchy irregular shaped crunchy snacks (discontinued)
- Cheez Doodles Crunchy Jalapeño Cheddar – partially cheddar covered hard, crunchy snacks with green specks (discontinued)
- Cheez Doodie-O's – circle-shaped hard, crunchy snacks
- Cheez Doodie Heads – face-shaped hard, crunchy snacks (discontinued)
- Cheez Doodles Cheese Flavored Potato Chips – potato chips with Cheez Doodie flavoring (discontinued)
- Cheez Doodles Big Nate
- Hevesi, Dennis (2010-08-02). "Morrie Yohai, 90, the Man Behind Cheez Doodles, Is Dead". Nytimes.com. Retrieved 2011-10-17.