Chief of Chaplains of the United States Navy
|Chief of Chaplains of the|
United States Navy
|Formation||November 5, 1917|
|First holder||CAPT John B. Frazier|
The Chief of Chaplains of the United States Navy (CHC) is the Senior Chaplain in the Navy, the Head of the U.S. Navy Chaplain Corps, and the Director of Religious Ministry Support for the Department of the Navy. He or she advises the Commandant of the Marine Corps, the Chief of Naval Operations, and the Commandant of the Coast Guard "on all matters pertaining to religion within the Navy, United States Marine Corps, and United States Coast Guard."
The position was created in 1917 to "provide a system of appointing qualified and professional chaplains that meet the needs of the Navy". The current CCHN is Rear Admiral Brent W. Scott. The previous CCHN was Rear Adm. Margaret G. Kibben, the first woman to hold this office.
|Name||Photo||Term began||Term ended|
|1.||CAPT John B. Frazier||November 5, 1917||November 1921|
|2.||CAPT Evan W. Scott||November 1921||July 1926|
|3.||CAPT Curtis H. Dickins||July 1926||July 1929|
|4.||CAPT Sidney K. Evans||July 1929||July 1935|
|5.||CAPT Edward A. Duff||July 1935||July 1937|
|6.||CAPT Robert D. Workman||July 1937||July 1945|
|7.||RADM William N. Thomas||July 1945||September 1949|
|8.||RADM Staton W. Salisbury||September 1949||February 1953|
|9.||RADM Edward B. Harp, Jr.||February 1953||June 1958|
|10.||RADM George A. Rosso||June 1958||July 1962|
|11.||RADM Joseph F. Dreith||July 1962||July 1965|
|12.||RADM James W. Kelly||July 1965||July 1970|
|13.||RADM Francis L. Garrett||July 1970||July 1975|
|14.||RADM John J. O'Connor||July 1975||May 1979|
|15.||RADM Ross H. Trower||May 1979||August 1983|
|16.||RADM Neil M. Stevenson||August 1983||August 1985|
|17.||RADM John R. McNamara||August 1985||June 1988|
|18.||RADM Alvin B. Koeneman||June 1988||August 1991|
|19.||RADM David E. White||August 1991||August 1994|
|20.||RADM Donald K. Muchow||August 1994||August 1997|
|21.||RADM A. Byron Holderby, Jr.||August 1997||August 2000|
|22.||RADM Barry C. Black||August 2000||August 15, 2003|
|23.||RADM Louis V. Iasiello||August 16, 2003||June 22, 2006|
|24.||RADM Robert F. Burt||June 23, 2006||August 26, 2010|
|25.||RADM Mark L. Tidd||August 27, 2010||August 1, 2014|
|26.||RADM Margaret G. Kibben||August 2, 2014||July 22, 2018|
|27.||RADM Brent W. Scott||July 23, 2018||Incumbent|
Chief of Chaplains hallway
A hallway to honor former Chiefs of Navy Chaplain Corps was dedicated at the Navy Annex, in Arlington, Va., in 2004. Five former Chiefs of Chaplains were present at the dedication ceremony, including Barry C. Black, Alvin B. Koeneman, Neil M. Stevenson, Ross H. Trower, and David F. White.
- Armed Forces Chaplains Board
- Deputy Chief of Chaplains of the United States Navy
- Chaplain of the Coast Guard
- Chaplain of the United States Marine Corps
- Chiefs of Chaplains of the United States
- International Military Chiefs of Chaplains Conference
- SECNAVINST 1730.1B Archived 2012-03-17 at the Wayback Machine, retrieved May 13, 2011.
- OPNAVINST 1730.1D, retrieved May 12, 2011.
- Navy Chiefs of Chaplains Roster List. Retrieved July 21, 2010.
- "Ceremony Establishes Naval Chaplains School", Navy.mil (USN official website), 4/17/2007. By Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class (SW/AW) John Osborne, Naval Personnel Development Command Public Affairs. Retrieved 2010-08-18.
- Stevenson died November 21, 2009, in Williamsburg, Va. He was deputy chief of chaplains from 1980 to 1983. "Former Navy Chief of Chaplains Dies", Navy.mil (USN official website), 11/25/2009. By Capt. Greg Caiazzo, Chaplain Corps Public Affairs. Retrieved 2009-12-03.
- He is currently serving as Chaplain of the United States Senate. "Barry C. Black - Chaplain". United States Senate website. Retrieved 2010-08-18.
- Navy News Service – Eye on the Fleet, Navy.mil (USN official website), April 26, 2004. Retrieved 2009-12-03.