Chintaman Govind Pandit
Chintaman Govind Pandit
|Born||25 July 1895|
|Died||7 September 1991 (aged 96)|
|Known for||Study of pathogens|
Order of the British Empire
Chintaman Govind Pandit, OBE (25 July 1895 – 7 September 1991) was an Indian virologist, writer and the founder director of the Indian Council of Medical Research. He secured his doctoral degree (PhD) from the University of London in 1922, worked as the director of King Institute of Preventive Medicine and Research, Chennai, before becoming the founder director of the Indian Council of Medical Research when the institution was established in 1948. After his superannuation in 1964, he was made the Emeritus Scientist of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR).
Pandit, besides writing several medical articles, authored two books, Indian Research Fund Association and Indian Council of Medical Research, 1911-1961; fifty years of progress and Nutrition in India. He served as the president of the Indian Science Congress of 1991 and was an elected Fellow of the Indian National Science Academy (1939) and a founder Fellow of the National Academy of Medical Sciences (India).
In the 1943 Birthday Honours list, Patel was appointed an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE). He received the fourth-highest Indian civilian honour, the Padma Shri, in 1956. The Government of India awarded him the third highest civilian honour of the Padma Bhushan, in 1964, for his contributions to science. After his death on 7 September 1991, the Indian Council of Medical Research instituted a distinguished scientist chair, Dr. C. G. Pandit National Chair, in his honour.
- Sunil K Pandya (2013). "Indian Council of Medical Research: then and now". Indian Journal of Medical Ethics. 10 (3). ISSN 0975-5691.
- "Deceased Fellow". Indian National Science Academy. 2016. Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- Gerald Hoff (2012). Diseases of Amphibians and Reptiles. Springer Science & Business Media. pp. 511 of 784. ISBN 9781461593911.
- C G Pandit; S R Pandit; P V Seetharama Iyer (1991). "The Adhesion Phenomenon in Filariasis". Indian Journal of Medical Research. 93: 946–953. OCLC 537961273.
- Chintaman Govind Pandit (1961). Indian Research Fund Association and Indian Council of Medical Research, 1911-1961; fifty years of progress. Indian Council of Medical Research. p. 94. ASIN B0007JITFM.
- Pandit, Chintaman G.; Rao, K. Someswara (1960). Nutrition in India. Indian Council of Medical Research. ASIN B007Q8AKZY.
- "No. 36033". The London Gazette (Supplement). 28 May 1943. p. 2435.
- "Padma Awards" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2016. Archived from the original (PDF) on 15 November 2014. Retrieved 3 January 2016.
- "Investiture Ceremony" (PDF). Government of India. 1964. Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- "Dr. C. G. Pandit National Chair" (PDF). Indian Council of Medical Research. 2016. Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- Sriramachari S. (November 1991). "A homage to Dr C. G. Pandit". Indian J Med Res. 93 (IV): iv–viii. PMID 1797637.
|This article about a biologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an Indian scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|