|Industry||Grocery store, Health food store|
|Founded||1990 (Vancouver, British Columbia)|
|Headquarters||Delta, British Columbia|
Number of locations
|11 (December 2017)|
|Greater Vancouver, Kelowna|
|Ishkandar Ahmed, CEO|
|Products||Food, Organic food|
|Owner||Buy-Low Foods LP (A division of the Jim Pattison Group|
The chain has eleven stores: ten in Metro Vancouver, and one location in Kelowna. Choices Markets opened its 11th location, in North Vancouver, in late spring 2016. Choices was founded in December 1990 by brothers Wayne and Lloyd Lockhart. The owners emphasize that the store caters to a range of diets, including Gluten free, vegetarian and vegan. Lockhart cites this is a guiding principle for the chain: "It's all about providing choice.".
The company has relied on various techniques aimed at increasing customer loyalty in order to compete with larger chains in the area, such as providing customers with The Choices Preferred Shopper Card which allows customers to receive discounts on specially labelled products and accumulate points when they shop., providing an in-house nutritionist to help advise customers and worked to build energy and "theatre" in stores through product demos, food festivals and farmer/shopper interaction.
Canadian Federation of Independent Grocers inducted Choices Markets White Rock (South Surrey, B.C.) into the Hall of Fame in 2015. To be eligible for Hall of Fame induction, a store must win at least three Gold Awards or receive one Platinum Achievement Award and one Gold Award.
Choices Markets was sold to the Buy-Low Foods Group on December 3, 2017. The previous Choices ownership decided to retire and carefully selected the right owner that would retain what the Choices brand stands for while remaining locally owned and operated.
Choices Markets was selected as the Fairtrade Canada Retailer of the Year in February 2018. They have won this award 5 of the past 6 years.
- "Our Company - Choices Markets". Choices Markets. Retrieved 2016-04-19.
- Korstrom, Glen (December 9, 2015). "Choices Markets to open 11th store, in North Vancouver". Business in Vancouver 'newspaper'. Retrieved April 18, 2016 – via Business in Vancouver website.
- "Our Company". Choices Markets. Retrieved June 8, 2019.
- Richer, Shawna; Pearce, Tralee (May 24, 2003). "Vegging Out". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved June 8, 2019.
- "Preferred Shopper". Choices Market. Retrieved April 18, 2016.
- Lee, Jenny (August 7, 2015). "Metro Vancouver food chain thrives alongside Goliath". Vancouver Sun. Retrieved April 18, 2016 – via Vancouver Sun.
- Neshevich, Carol (September 30, 2015). "CFIG presents Independent Grocer of the Year Awards". Food in Canada 'magazine'. Retrieved April 18, 2016 – via http://www.foodincanada.com/.
- "Canadian Fairtrade Awards". www.fairtrade.ca. Retrieved 2018-03-20.