|Member of the New Zealand Parliament|
for West Coast-Tasman
8 November 2008 – 26 November 2011
|Born||7 March 1945|
Auchinvole was born in Prestwick, Scotland, and attended the Royal Military Academy at Sandhurst in England. In New Zealand, he has been involved with the export industry, and operated a company based on the West Coast. He has also been involved in the Uniting Church, becoming a lay preacher.
Member of Parliament
|New Zealand Parliament|
In the 2005 election, Auchinvole stood as the National Party's candidate for the West Coast-Tasman electorate. Despite reducing the incumbent's majority by 5,568 votes, he was unsuccessful. Nevertheless, he entered Parliament as a list MP, having been ranked 34th. In the 2008 election, Auchinvole won the electorate with a small majority beating Labour's Damien O'Connor who had represented the West Coast since 1993. Damien O'Connor regained the electorate in 2011 despite a record defeat for the Labour Party.
Auchinvole is a wedding celebrant, and officiated at the wedding in Parliament of fellow MP Tau Henare on 7 March 2012. He was a strong supporter of the Marriage (Definition of Marriage) Amendment Bill which sought to legalise same-sex marriage in New Zealand. His speech in support of the bill during its second reading was well received.
On 2 October 2013 Auchinvole confirmed that he would be stepping down at the 2014 election. Auchinvole was replaced for the 2014 election by Maureen Pugh, Former Westland District Mayor as the West Coast-Tasman Candidate however she did not win the seat but later entered Parliament on the list following Tim Groser's resignation. Following the 2014 election Auchinvole has retired with his wife to raise Highland Cattle on their West Coast properties in Moana near Lake Brunner on the West Coast.
- "Official Count Results – West Coast-Tasman". Chief Electoral Office. Retrieved 19 September 2014.
- "Party Lists of Successful Registered Parties". Electoral Commission. Retrieved 26 August 2013.
- "Official Count Results – West Coast-Tasman". Chief Electoral Office. Retrieved 20 September 2014.
- Basham, Laura (28 November 2011). "Time for action to stop asset sales, says O'Connor". Retrieved 20 September 2014.
- "Tau-tally devoted: MP's quick 'I do'". Stuff. 8 March 2012. Retrieved 8 March 2012.
- Auchinvole, Chris. "Same-sex marriage debate: Chris Auchinvole speaks". Video. NZHeraldTV. Retrieved 17 April 2013.
- "List MP Auchinvole stepping down". Stuff. 2 October 2013. Retrieved 2 October 2013.
|New Zealand Parliament|
| Member of Parliament for West Coast-Tasman