Hemsworth at the 2017 San Diego Comic-Con
11 August 1983
|Residence||Byron Bay, New South Wales, Australia|
|Home town||Phillip Island, Victoria, Australia|
Elsa Pataky (m. 2010)
Christopher Hemsworth (born 11 August 1983) is an Australian actor. He rose to prominence playing Kim Hyde in the Australian TV series Home and Away (2004–07). Hemsworth has also appeared in the science fiction action film Star Trek (2009), the thriller adventure A Perfect Getaway (2009), the horror comedy The Cabin in the Woods (2012), the dark-fantasy action film Snow White and the Huntsman (2012), the war film Red Dawn (2012), and the biographical sports drama film Rush (2013).
In the Marvel Cinematic Universe he portrays the role of Thor, beginning in Thor (2011), and also appearing in The Avengers (2012), Thor: The Dark World (2013), Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015), Doctor Strange (2016), Thor: Ragnarok (2017), Avengers: Infinity War (2018) and Avengers: Endgame (2019).
In 2015, he starred in the action thriller film Blackhat, had a comedic role in the fifth installment of National Lampoon's Vacation series, Vacation, and headlined the biographical thriller film In the Heart of the Sea. The following year, Hemsworth had a supporting role in Sony's reboot of Ghostbusters. In 2019, he starred in the Men in Black film series spin-off Men in Black: International.
Hemsworth was born in Melbourne, to Leonie (née van Os), an English teacher, and Craig Hemsworth, a social-services counsellor. He is the middle of three boys; his brothers Luke (older) and Liam (younger) are also actors. His maternal grandfather is a Dutch immigrant and his maternal grandmother is of Irish descent; he also has English, Scottish, and German ancestry. He was raised both in Melbourne and in the Australian Outback in Bulman, Northern Territory. He has stated, "My earliest memories were on the cattle stations up in the Outback, and then we moved back to Melbourne and then back out there and then back again. Certainly most of my childhood was in Melbourne but probably my most vivid memories were up there [in Bulman] with crocodiles and buffalo. Very different walks of life." He attended high school at Heathmont College before his family again returned to the Northern Territory, and then moved a few years later to Phillip Island.
Hemsworth began his career by appearing in several television series. In 2002, Hemsworth starred in two episodes of fantasy television series Guinevere Jones as King Arthur, as well as making an appearance in soap opera series Neighbours and one episode of Marshall Law. The following year, he appeared in an episode of The Saddle Club.
In 2004, Hemsworth auditioned for the role of Robbie Hunter in Australian soap opera Home and Away. He did not receive the part, but was subsequently recalled for the part of Kim Hyde. He moved to Sydney to join the cast, appearing in 171 episodes of the series. He left the cast of Home and Away on 3 July 2007.
Hemsworth was a contestant on the fifth season of Dancing with the Stars Australia, partnered with professional dancer Abbey Ross. The season premiered on 26 September 2006, and after six weeks, Hemsworth was eliminated on 7 November.
In 2009, Hemsworth portrayed James T. Kirk's father, George Kirk, in the opening scenes of J. J. Abrams' film Star Trek. He played the character Kale in the thriller A Perfect Getaway the same year. He went on to play Sam in 2010's Ca$h, which was the first film he shot when he arrived in the United States. The film's director, Stephen Milburn Anderson, said Hemsworth had only been in the United States for six weeks when he had auditioned for the role, recalling, "Here's a guy who is young, has the right look, is a very good actor and, let's face it, he's beautiful. So I say, we need to get this guy in. I was very impressed". In November 2010, The Hollywood Reporter named Hemsworth as one of the young male actors who are "pushing – or being pushed" onto the Hollywood "A-List". Sony Pictures announced in 2011 that Hemsworth would star in the thriller Shadow Runner, which did not subsequently go into production as of 2014[update].
Hemsworth is most known for his role as superhero Thor in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. His first film in the franchise was 2011's Thor. He and castmate Tom Hiddleston, who ultimately played Loki, had each auditioned for the role, for which Hemsworth said he put on 20 pounds of muscle. Hemsworth then reprised the role in the 2012 film The Avengers as one of the six superheroes sent to defend Earth from his adopted brother, Loki, and in Thor: The Dark World, the 2013 sequel to Thor.
He starred in the horror film The Cabin in the Woods, which was shot shortly after the release of Star Trek but went unreleased until 2012. Also that year, Hemsworth starred opposite Kristen Stewart in the film Snow White and the Huntsman as the Huntsman. He also played Jed Eckert in the 2012 Red Dawn remake, a role he was cast in after MGM saw dailies footage of a scene from The Cabin in the Woods. Hemsworth was cast as Thor two days after being cast in Red Dawn. In 2013, Hemsworth starred in Ron Howard's sports drama film Rush, as 1976 Formula 1 World Champion James Hunt. People magazine, in an annual feature, named him its 2014 "Sexiest Man Alive."
In 2015, Hemsworth starred in director Michael Mann's action thriller Blackhat, opposite Viola Davis, and reprised his role as Thor for the fourth time in the sequel to The Avengers, Avengers: Age of Ultron. Hemsworth returned to the set of Home and Away in November 2014 to film a scene as an extra and not as his character Kim Hyde. He appeared in the episode broadcast on 19 May 2015. Also in 2015, he co-starred in the comedy film Vacation, along with Ed Helms, a revival of the film series that originally starred Chevy Chase. His last 2015 film was In the Heart of the Sea, based on the book of the same name by Nathaniel Philbrick, with Hemsworth playing first mate Owen Chase. In an interview on Jimmy Kimmel Live!, he said that to prepare for the role of starving sailors, the cast was put on a diet of 500–600 calories a day to lose weight. In 2016, Hemsworth reprised the role of Eric the Huntsman in The Huntsman: Winter's War and also portrayed Kevin the receptionist in Ghostbusters.
Hemsworth reprised his role as Thor in Thor: Ragnarok, released on 3 November 2017 in the U.S., and again in both the third and fourth Avengers films, Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame in 2018 and 2019 respectively. In 2019, he also starred in a spin-off of the Men in Black series, titled Men in Black: International.
Hemsworth was originally going to reprise his role as George Kirk in the fourth film of the rebooted Star Trek film series, but he left the project in August 2018 after contract negotiations fell through. Hemsworth later revealed that the reason for his exit was because he found the script underwhelming.
In the media
Hemsworth was the star of the Australian Football League's 2014 Everything's Possible campaign. He donated fees for his involvement to the Australian Children Foundation. Hemsworth was also the star in the AFL's 2017 "I'd Like to See That" commercial.
Hemsworth began dating Spanish actress Elsa Pataky in early 2010 after meeting through their mutual representatives. They wed in December 2010. They have three children: a daughter born in May 2012, and twin sons born in March 2014. In 2015, Hemsworth and his family moved from Los Angeles to Byron Bay in his native Australia.
|2009||Star Trek||George Kirk|
|A Perfect Getaway||Kale|
|2012||The Cabin in the Woods||Curt Vaughan|
|Snow White and the Huntsman||Eric the Huntsman|
|Red Dawn||Jed Eckert|
|2013||Star Trek Into Darkness||George Kirk||Voice only|
|Thor: The Dark World||Thor|
|Avengers: Age of Ultron||Thor|
|In the Heart of the Sea||Owen Chase|
|2016||The Huntsman: Winter's War||Eric the Huntsman|
|Doctor Strange||Thor||Uncredited cameo|
|2018||12 Strong||Captain Mitch Nelson|
|Avengers: Infinity War||Thor|
|Andy Irons: Kissed by God||N/A||Executive producer|
|Bad Times at the El Royale||Billy Lee|
|Men in Black: International||Henry / Agent H|
|Jay and Silent Bob Reboot||TBC||Post-production|
|2002||Guinevere Jones||King Arthur||2 episodes|
|Neighbours||Jamie Kane||Episode 4,069|
|Marshall Law||The Kid||Episode: "Domestic Bliss"|
|2003||The Saddle Club||The New Vet||Episode: "Tenderfoot"|
|2004||Fergus McPhail||Craig||Episode: "In a Jam"|
|2004–2007||Home and Away||Kim Hyde||189 episodes|
|2006||Dancing with the Stars||Himself||5th place|
|2015||Saturday Night Live||Host||"Chris Hemsworth/Zac Brown Band"|
"Chris Hemsworth/Chance The Rapper"
|2011||Thor: God of Thunder||Thor|
Awards and nominations
|2011||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Movie: Breakout Male||Thor||Nominated|
|2012||British Academy Film Awards||Rising Star Award|
|People's Choice Awards||Favorite Movie Superhero|
|MTV Movie Awards||Best Hero|
|Teen Choice Awards||Choice Movie Actor: Sci-Fi/Fantasy||The Avengers|
|Choice Summer Movie Star: Male||The Avengers & Snow White and the Huntsman||Won|
|2013||People's Choice Awards||Favorite Movie Superhero||The Avengers||Nominated|
|Favorite On-Screen Chemistry (shared with Kristen Stewart)||Snow White and the Huntsman|
|Favorite Action Movie Star||The Avengers & Snow White and the Huntsman||Won|
|Kids' Choice Awards||Favorite Male Buttkicker||The Avengers||Nominated|
|MTV Movie Awards||Best Fight||Won|
|Teen Choice Awards||Choice Movie Actor: Action||Red Dawn||Nominated|
|2014||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Movie Actor: Sci-Fi/Fantasy||Thor: The Dark World|
|2015||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Movie Actor: Sci-Fi/Fantasy|
|2015||Choice Movie Actor: Drama||Blackhat|
|2016||People's Choice Awards||Favorite Action Movie Actor||Avengers: Age of Ultron & In the Heart of the Sea||Won|
|Kids' Choice Awards||Favorite Movie Actor||Avengers: Age of Ultron||Nominated|
|MTV Movie Awards||Best Kiss (shared with Leslie Mann)||Vacation|
|Teen Choice Awards||Choice Movie Actor: Action||In the Heart of the Sea|
|Choice Movie Actor: Sci-Fi/Fantasy||The Huntsman: Winter's War|
|Choice Movie: Liplock (shared with Jessica Chastain)|
|Choice Summer Movie Star: Male||Ghostbusters|
|2017||People's Choice Awards||Favorite Comedic Movie Actor|
|Kids' Choice Awards||Favorite Movie Actor||Won|
|Favorite Butt-Kicker||The Huntsman: Winter's War||Nominated|
|2018||Critics' Choice Awards||Best Actor in a Comedy||Thor: Ragnarok|
|MTV Movie Awards||Best Fight|
|People's Choice Awards||The Action Movie Star of 2018||Avengers: Infinity War|
|The Male Movie Star of 2018|
|The Drama Movie Star of 2018||12 Strong|
- Hemsworth, Chris (25 June 2012). Kristen and Chris' Interview with Paul (Radio interview). YouTube. Event occurs at 04:35. Archived from the original on 22 July 2013. Retrieved 9 October 2018.
Because I couldn't pronounce Christopher, I'd say 'Kiptoder', and that became [my childhood nickname] Kip.
- "Chris Hemsworth". Us Weekly. Archived from the original on 19 May 2018. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- Fleming, Mike, Jr. (12 June 2012). "Chris Hemsworth Boards Whale of a Tale 'In The Heart of the Sea'; Will DreamWorks Bite?". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on 17 November 2012. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- Lesnick, Silas (10 June 2015). "Chris Hemsworth is the New Ghostbusters Receptionist!". Comingsoon.net. Archived from the original on 14 September 2016. Retrieved 18 July 2016.
- Lovece, Frank (29 September 2011). "Chris Hemsworth: Not a Thor Loser". FilmFestivalTraveler.com. Archived from the original on 8 October 2011. Retrieved 7 October 2011.
- Bekiaris, Angela (14 January 2016). "10 Fun Facts About Liam Hemsworth". People. Johannesburg, South Africa: Caxton Magazines. Archived from the original on 15 May 2016. Retrieved 2 June 2016.
- "Cyrus 'saw in new year on Phillip Island' ". Herald Sun. Australia. 4 January 2010. Archived from the original on 14 June 2011. Retrieved 27 February 2010.
- Rapkin, Mickey (March 2012). "The Hunger Games' Liam Hemsworth Has No Idea What's About to Hit Him". Details. Archived from the original on 17 November 2012.
- "Happy St. Patrick's day Ireland!". Liam Hemsworth via Instagram. 18 March 2018. Archived from the original on 3 November 2018. Retrieved 18 March 2018.
- "Chris Hemsworth on Jimmy Kimmel Live! Part 1". Jimmy Kimmel Live! via YouTube. 5 May 2011.
- Finke, Nikki (18 May 2009). "More 'Thor': Marvel Studios Casts UK Actor Tom Hiddleston as Villain Loki". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on 8 October 2011.
- "The Movie Cash Podcast Series: Casting Chris Hemsworth". Youtube. Archived from the original on 16 July 2010. Retrieved 4 October 2010.
- Blank, Emily; Schutte, Lauren (15 November 2010). "Hollywood's A-List Redefined". (slide 4 of 10 in slideshow) The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on 23 April 2011. Retrieved 13 April 2011.
- Kit, Borys (29 June 2011). "Chris Hemsworth to Star in Sony's 'Shadow Runner'". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on 3 July 2011. Retrieved 1 July 2011.
- Rosenbaum, Lara. "Chris Hemsworth's Workout". Men's Health. Archived from the original on 8 June 2012. Retrieved 5 June 2012.
- McDaniel, Matt (2 May 2012). "'Avengers' star Tom Hiddleston told Chris Hemsworth to really hit him". Yahoo! Movies. Archived from the original on 16 May 2012. Retrieved 15 May 2012.
- Flemming, Mike (30 June 2011). "Marvel And Disney Setting 'Thor 2' For Winter 2013; Chris Hemsworth's Back but Kenneth Branagh Won't Return". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on 1 July 2011. Retrieved 1 July 2011.
- Kirk, Jeremy (20 September 2012). "34 Things We Learned From 'The Cabin in the Woods' Commentary". FilmSchoolRejects.com. Archived from the original on 25 December 2012. Retrieved 10 October 2012.
- Chitwood, Adam (11 July 2011). "Chris Hemsworth in Talks to Play Formula 1 Driver James Hunt in Ron Howard's 'Rush'". Collider.com. Archived from the original on 8 October 2011. Retrieved 7 October 2011.
- Fowler, Tara (19 November 2014). "Sexiest Man Alive 2014: Chris Hemsworth: I Learned to Be Sexy from Matt Damon". People. Archived from the original on 21 November 2014. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- Travis Reilly (26 July 2014). "Chris Hemsworth First Look on Set of Michael Mann Hacker Thriller 'Blackhat' Revealed". The Wrap. Archived from the original on 12 August 2014. Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- Vejvoda, Jim (29 August 2013). "James Spader to Play Ultron in the Avengers Sequel". IGN. Archived from the original on 31 August 2013. Retrieved 29 August 2013.
- "Chris Hemsworth returns to Summer Bay!". TV Week. 26 November 2014. Archived from the original on 2 December 2014. Retrieved 20 May 2015.
- Moran, Jonathon (18 May 2015). "Chris Hemsworth returns to Summer Bay with Home and Away cameo". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 20 May 2015.
- "Chris Hemsworth & Charlie Day Taking a 'Vacation' with Ed Helms". FirstShowing.net. Archived from the original on 25 October 2014. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- "Chris Hemsworth/Jane's Addiction; Episode #11.69". Jimmy Kimmel Live!. 4 November 2013. ABC. Archived from the original on 2 September 2014. Retrieved 12 August 2014.
Jimmy: You're on some crazy diet right now I heard because of this movie you're shooting. Chris: ...and we have to get rather skinny, we're on about 500 or 600 calories a day
- Coggan, Devan (16 November 2015). "See Charlize Theron, Jessica Chastain in new The Huntsman Winter's War character posters". Entertainment Weekly. Archived from the original on 13 August 2016. Retrieved 18 July 2016.
- Strom, Marc (28 October 2014). "Thor Brings Ragnarok to the Marvel Cinematic Universe in 2017". Marvel.com. Archived from the original on 28 October 2014. Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- Chitwood, Adam (14 April 2015). "Chris Hemsworth Reveals the 3 Marvel Movies Left on His Contract". Collider. Archived from the original on 15 April 2015. Retrieved 17 April 2015.
- Romano, Nick (21 September 2018). "Men in Black spin-off set photos show off Chris Hemsworth, Tessa Thompson". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 21 January 2019.
- Rossen, Christopher (18 July 2016). "Chris Hemsworth will return for fourth Star Trek film". Entertainment Weekly. Archived from the original on 18 July 2016. Retrieved 18 July 2016.
- Kroll, Justin (26 April 2018). "'Star Trek 4': S.J. Clarkson Becomes the First Female Director in Franchise's History (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Archived from the original on 18 June 2018. Retrieved 2 June 2018.
- Kit, Borys (10 August 2018). "Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth 'Star Trek 4' Future In Doubt as Talks Fall Through (Exclusive)". Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on 11 August 2018. Retrieved 11 August 2018.
- Setoodth, Ramin (28 May 2019). "How Chris Hemsworth Found His Way as a Movie Star With Thor and 'The Avengers'". Variety. Retrieved 14 June 2019.
- Whiting, Michael (1 March 2014). "Stars on show for AFL's new marketing campaign" Archived 26 August 2014 at the Wayback Machine, Australian Football League. Retrieved 20 April 2015.
- "Chris Hemsworth takes the AFL to Hollywood in new campaign". news.com.au. 17 March 2017. Archived from the original on 14 July 2018. Retrieved 14 July 2018.
- "Chris Hemsworth's Wife Elsa Pataky Gives Birth to Daughter India!". Us Weekly. 12 May 2012. Archived from the original on 23 October 2018. Retrieved 23 October 2018.
- Jordan, Julie (28 December 2010). "Thor Star Chris Hemsworth Gets Married". People. Archived from the original on 28 March 2011. Retrieved 7 October 2011.
- Wloszczyna, Susan (13 May 2012). "New baby girl for 'Avengers' Chris Hemsworth and wife Elsa". USA Today. Archived from the original on 19 May 2018. Retrieved 19 March 2018.
'We love the country and love the name,' says the Aussie actor, calling from England...
- Mandell, Andrea (21 March 2014). "It's twin boys for Chris Hemsworth and Elsa Pataky!". USA Today. Archived from the original on 25 March 2014. Retrieved 25 August 2017.
...a rep for Hemsworth confirms ... Pataky gave birth to twins early Friday morning...
- Kehagias, Melissa (27 September 2014). "Chris Hemsworth has bought himself a $7 million Byron Bay home". The Daily Telegraph (Sydney). Archived from the original on 24 March 2018. Retrieved 23 November 2015.
- "Critics' Choice Awards – Critics' Choice Awards". Critics' Choice Awards. Archived from the original on 12 January 2018. Retrieved 8 December 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chris Hemsworth.|