Arroyo with the Tampa Bay Rays in 2018
|Born: May 30, 1995|
|April 24, 2017, for the San Francisco Giants|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2019 season)
|Runs batted in||27|
Christian Israel Arroyo (born May 30, 1995) is an American professional baseball infielder for the Cleveland Indians of Major League Baseball (MLB). He previously played for the San Francisco Giants and the Tampa Bay Rays.
Christian Israel Arroyo was born on May 30, 1995 in Tampa, Florida to Israel Arroyo Jr., a 20-year United States Marine Corps combat veteran of Puerto Rican descent, and Kimberly Drummond. He grew up a Rays fan. Arroyo attended Hernando High School in Brooksville, Florida. He played for the United States national baseball team at the 2013 18U Baseball World Cup, where he was the MVP of the tournament and helped the US win gold.
Draft and Minor Leagues
Arroyo was drafted by the San Francisco Giants in the first round of the 2013 Major League Baseball draft. The selection was considered a surprise by experts. He was committed to the University of Florida to play college baseball but signed with the Giants.
Arroyo made his professional debut with the Arizona League Giants, hitting .326/.388/.511 with two home runs and 39 RBIs over 184 at-bats in 45 games. For his play he was named the Arizona League MVP. Arroyo spent 2014 with the Salem-Keizer Volcanoes and Augusta GreenJackets, where he batted .291 with six home runs and 62 RBIs in 89 games, and 2015 with the San Jose Giants where he slashed .304/.344/.459 with nine home runs and 42 RBIs in 90 games. After the 2015 season he played in the Arizona Fall League. He spent the 2016 season with the Richmond Flying Squirrels, compiling a .274 batting average with three home runs, 49 RBIs, and 36 doubles in 119 games.
San Francisco Giants
On April 24, 2017, the Giants promoted Arroyo to the major leagues. He made his debut later that night, starting at third base against the Los Angeles Dodgers. On April 25, he recorded his first hit, a single, off of Clayton Kershaw. The following day, Arroyo hit his first Major League home run, a two-run shot off of Sergio Romo. He was sent down to Triple-A on June 4 to make room for Hunter Pence, who was returning from the disabled list.
Tampa Bay Rays
On December 20, 2017, the Giants traded Arroyo, Denard Span, Matt Krook, and Stephen Woods to the Tampa Bay Rays for Evan Longoria and cash considerations. He began 2018 with the Durham Bulls. Arroyo was recalled to Tampa Bay on May 16th, making his Rays debut on May 17 against the Los Angeles Angels. He recorded two singles in five at-bats while playing third base. He was optioned to Triple A Durham where he finished the season. Arroyo finished the season with a .264 batting average and one home run.
- "Christian Arroyo Pens 'bittersweet' Message After Being Traded by Giants". NBC Bay Area. Retrieved June 23, 2019.
- "Hernando's Christian Arroyo named MVP of world championship". Tampabay.com. September 9, 2012. Archived from the original on March 4, 2016. Retrieved March 31, 2014.
- "Hernando's Christian Arroyo makes history as Giants' first-round pick". Tampabay.com. June 6, 2013. Retrieved March 31, 2014.
- "Giants select shortstop Christian Arroyo in first round". Blogs.mercurynews.com. June 6, 2013. Retrieved March 31, 2014.
- "Giants surprise Draft experts by taking Arroyo". Mlb.mlb.com. Retrieved March 31, 2014.
- "UPDATE: SF Giants' first-round pick loves school, but…". June 7, 2013. Retrieved June 21, 2016.
- "Florida high school sports - Hernando SS Christian Arroyo signs with San Francisco Giants". Retrieved June 21, 2016.
- "Prospect Arroyo opens eyes in Rookie ball". Mlb.mlb.com. January 9, 2013. Retrieved March 31, 2014.
- "Hernando baseball standout Christian Arroyo puts major leagues on notice". Retrieved June 21, 2016.
- "Top prospect Christian Arroyo might be blocked at shortstop, but Giants believe his hitting talent is irrepressible - Giants Extra". February 26, 2016. Retrieved June 21, 2016.
- "Giants' Christian Arroyo shines in Fall League". Retrieved June 21, 2016.
- "Giants' prospect Arroyo works on hitting, fielding, versatility". Retrieved June 21, 2016.
- "Shortstop Christian Arroyo, Giants' top prospect, could be on the move". Retrieved June 21, 2016.
- "Christian Arroyo Stats, Highlights, Bio - MiLB.com Stats - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". MiLB.com. Retrieved April 17, 2018.
- Haft, Chris. "Giants call up top position prospect Arroyo". mlb.com. Retrieved April 25, 2017.
- Staff, KNBR. "Arroyo's first big league hit comes off Clayton Kershaw". knbr.com. Retrieved April 26, 2017.
- Lander, Josh. "Christian Arroyo's first major league home run comes off of Sergio Romo". knbr.com. Retrieved April 26, 2017.
- Staff, NBC Sports Bay Area. "GIANTS LINEUP: CAILXTE IN RIGHT, PENCE ON THE BENCH; ARROYO OPTIONED". csnbayarea.com. Retrieved June 4, 2017.
- "Giants acquire Longoria from Rays". MLB.com. December 20, 2017. Retrieved December 20, 2017.
- "Indians and Tampa Bay Rays complete trade". Indians.com. July 28, 2019.